Boot and 100% disk usage problem

Dell Inspiron 3543

Intel Core i7-5500U CPU

NVIDIA Geforce 840M

Windows 8.1

4GB RAM

500GB HDD

Why is it taking a long bootup time?

My bootup time is ~2 mins without fast bootup and ~30 sec with fast bootup. I have got only a solution of using fast bootup : en.community.dell.com/.../19666898

Sometimes the disk usages goes to 100% which causes the computer to be unresponsive.

At times, I feel if this is the speed of a i7 computer.

Is it the problem of the OS?

1 Message

September 19th, 2016 11:00

No surprise there was no follow up to the question. With the Dell logo still on screen before the operating system begins to load, I have managed to search for solutions, come across this thread, registered for the forum, and post this message. Still no sign of a Windows screen.

Now, that is after paying Dell to extend my service contract, spending at least 12-15 hours of my time, with 4 different people from customer support, being charged for a DVD I did not need (and later being told they never sent me one and could not even confirm the order number that appears on their shipping slip), reinstalling windows, uninstalling "excess" programs that worked fine on a PC at least two generations older.

I suspect the only "solution" that makes sense is getting rid of this laptop and getting any other brand.

I'm writing this on my iPad.

And yes, there is still just a black screen on my laptop with a circle going round and round and round and...

You figure how long it took for me to do all that and still nothing. I'm going to get out my old Toshiba laptop - the old one this piece of junk replaced - so I can actually get something done.

And, Dell gurus? Before you make any suggestions, make sure you actipually read this. Don't bother suggesting things that have already been done.

12 Posts

June 10th, 2016 03:00

The laptop had slow bootup time from the beginning itself (~ 1 year).

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 10th, 2016 03:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

This could be a problem with the Operating system.We would suggest you to back up the data on the system and reinstall the Operating system.

Kindly private message the service tag and email address.

Thanks

Robin

12 Posts

June 10th, 2016 05:00

Should I reinstall the Operating System?

12 Posts

June 13th, 2016 01:00

I have done a factory reset , but still it is having low performance. Any solutions?

Typical bootup is like :-

15sec - Dell Splash screen

15sec - Black screen

40sec - From Windows login to desktop

No Events found!