Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

July 1st, 2013 05:00

Boot from mSATA - Inspiron 17R SE 7720

Hi, 

I've got my new Inspiron 17R SE 7720 up and running with a 128GB mSATA as the boot disk with the OS following the instructions at this post:  http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19490832/20296400.aspx#20296400 In I installed windows on both the mSATA and a 2nd HDD, then on the 2nd hdd installed 'EasyBCD' and set it to boot from the mSata.  

It works and currently is running great, but I was wondering if there was another way of getting the mSATA to be the boot disk without having to install windows a 2nd time on another HDD (save some disk space!). I found the following directions but could not get it to work (looks like it is for an older version of the bios A08, I am on A14): http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-inspiron-dell-studio/691645-inspiron-7720-os-msata-drive.html In short it says to do the following: 

- Set UEFI to default in BIOS
- Set 'Enable Legacy Option ROM' to True
- Set the SATA mode to AHCI
- Follow the instructions in this thread to create a UEFI compatible, bootable Windows 7 USB stick
- Install Windows 7 on the mSATA drive without any additional SATA harddisk attached
- As soon as the Windows 7 installer does its first reboot, shut down the laptop, add an additional SATA harddisk, and power up the laptop.

Has anyone got this to work? I'm wondering if I should give it another try. When I did try the above I received a 'OS not found' error and could not boot into windows. 

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated :)

56 Posts

July 1st, 2013 08:00

I installed Win7 on mSATA before Christmas and I have no idea about BIOS version I've got that time, but I have no problem what so ever with installation. Crucial step turning on the AHCI mod, everything else were natural. I Installed system with only mSATA drive just to be sure not lose original instalation data on stock HDD, but after full installation of system, drivers and apps I just plugged in the HDD and it worked well. I deleted all tha partitions and formatted disk.

No Events found!