Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2013 22:00

Boot issues with Inspiron M5040

I have an Inspiron M5040 running Windows 7 Home Premium and the system will not fully boot.  The machine seems to boot fine until the Logon page at which point a dialog is thrown up titled "LogonUI.exe - Bad Image" with the following text;

C:\windows\system32\RpcRtRemote.dll is either not designed to run on this Windows or it contains an error.  Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

Clicking OK will usually bring up the Logon screen with my username and when I click on it, another dialog is thrown up with the following info;

"userinit.exe - Bad Image"

C:\Windows\system32\USERENV.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

After clicking on OK I am left with a black screen and the desktop never shows up and there is no way to reboot or shutdown except holding the power button until the laptop shuts off.

My question is, since I don't have any OS Recovery media for the laptop and cant boot up to create any from the restore partition, can I use a generic Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit DVD to boot and try and do a Startup Repair on the machine or can I only use Dell specific OS Recovery media to attempt this?

Any info greatly appreciated.

- Dan

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 14th, 2013 06:00

reboot

F12

run Dell Diagnostics

2 Posts

November 14th, 2013 07:00

reboot

F12

run Dell Diagnostics

ieee488,

Thanks for your suggestion.  I tried this and the machine passed all the tests. It seems to be a corruption in a few of the essential files needed for booting.  I tried booting with a commercial Windows 7 Home Premium x64 disc and selected Repair your computer and received the following info;

Windows found problems with your computer's startup options.  Do you want to apply repairs and restart your computer? I clicked on view details and this is what is displayed;

The following startup option will be repaired:

Name: Windows Boot Manager

Identifier: {9DEA862C-5CDD-4E70-ACC1-F32B344D4795}

The following startup options will be added:

Name: Windows Recovery Environment (recovered)

Path: Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim

Windows Device: Partition= C: (14998 MB)

A copy of the current boot configuration data will be saved as C:\Boot\BCD.Backup.0001

I have not done the repair as I am not sure if I can use this disc to do the repairs or if I need to have an OEM disc to do this with.

I also tried booting and hitting F8 and then selecting Repair  Your Computer but get a message that states Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.  To fix the problem: 1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer. 2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next". 3. Click "Repair your computer"

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible 

Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Dan

No Events found!