Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 13th, 2016 11:00

Boot not possible after BIOS update

Hi, I recently bought a Inspiron 5000 series laptop and because the touchpad control was simply awful I did a check for updates and updated. The update included a BIOS update so I plugged in the laptop and ran the update. When It rebooted it failed. All I see is a boot failure:

Realtek PCIe family controller error. Media Test failure UNDI. No boot device found.

I couldn't do a safe boot but when I tried to bypass the legacy boot and boot UEFI it will boot.

I'm pretty unhappy that a BIOS update (version 1.1.9 was the old version and 1.2.2 was the new) caused this. The laptop is only 4 weeks old so I want to get this resolved.

Anything I should do?

2 Posts

August 15th, 2016 09:00

You don't need the System Mech program.  This is what DellCares told me to do on Twitter:  

Power ON the machine, tap F2 key on the startup Dell logo, it takes you to the BIOS screen. Move to "Boot" tab, Select "Boot list options" , change the option from "Legacy" to "UEFI".  Restart the machine, it should load fine to Windows. 

-----

I should note that several other people on twitter had already told me to try the same thing.  One person explained why this happened.  He said that the BIOS update changed the boot option to legacy when it should be UEFI.  Going into the BIOS and changing it back fixed the problem, so he is probably right. 

2 Posts

August 13th, 2016 15:00

Same problem here. My laptop is about 4 months old, never had problems. Dell forced the update to BIOS 1.2.2 -- and BOOM. No boot device found.  I got in by pressing f12 and getting into the boot menu and booting to the UEFI partition (or something like that).  Now I'm backing everything up, and will be attempting to roll back my BIOS to something older.  

2 Posts

August 14th, 2016 12:00

Got an Inspiron 15 2 weeks ago.  Today a popup said - Dell bios update needs to be installed.  Looked legit.  But was it?  

After hitting install I came back to find:

PXE-MOF Existing PXE ROM    No boot device found

Called Dell.  The tech told me: Dell doesn't send out bios updates, I needed to buy System Mechanic Professional ($99), and I need to pay $129 for a one time fix to make my laptop work again.

Scam?  I don't know what to believe.  Said I'd try to fix myself first.  He told me couldn't.

I did do what BUCKY53E suggested and booted to UEFI.  It's working but is it ok?

Any suggestions as to what to do next?

Feeling sick and any help will be appreciated.

Dee

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 14th, 2016 15:00

:emotion-2:

Try the steps by Mustard676 in link below:

en.community.dell.com/.../19670909

August 15th, 2016 14:00

Thanks, That has the system booting up again. Albeit much slower and desktop loading after login takes noticeably longer too...

And after all that the touchpad is still horrendous (worst I've ever seen in a laptop) 

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 16th, 2016 05:00

Thanks bucky53e for the update and sharing the solution for others to see with same problem.....:emotion-2:

No Events found!