Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2017 18:00

Boot up sequence failing before display on laptop

Hi, I have been using my XPS 15 L502X laptop for a few years and let my power problems get worse over time. After replacing a dead battery a year overdue, I've had startup issues get worse slowly over time. When I turn on my laptop, the buttons and keyboard light up but the boot sequence screen fails to show up 99% of the time. Instead the fan runs at a rapid pace and stays that way until powered down. The 1% of the time it does power on, everything works fine until it is powered off or hibernates. Standby is okay.

I suspect its an electrical problem in the pre-boot sequence but I can't pinpoint where. I tried replacing the monitor, manipulating the RAM, replacing the coin slot battery, and projecting to an alternate display. If possible, I'll try to run an ePSA if it turns on again. Any help would be appreciated.

9.4K Posts

December 6th, 2017 03:00

Hi anthogonist,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies that your computer is not running as expected.

Have you tried running a systems diagnostics test? You can run diagnostics by pressing F12 or by running Dell Support Assist.  

From the resources I've checked the characteristics you've described may indicate possibly the hard drive failing.

December 6th, 2017 06:00

I still haven't been able to run a systems diagnostic. But you may be right about the hard drive. I'll try to run a few tests if possible before I replace it in the upcoming week.

No Events found!