Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 22nd, 2017 19:00

Boot up

My computer will not boot up.  It gets hung up at the dell screen and the says "No boot device found."  How do I fix this?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 23rd, 2017 04:00

Could be anything from a configuration change (SATA to RAID, etc.) or a bad hard drive or mainboard.

What system model?

Were any changes made recently?

Does the system see the hard drive (F2 at powerup to check)?

2K Posts

April 23rd, 2017 13:00

Hi DLO565,

What is the exact system model? What is the current OS installed on the system?

Is there any liquid spillage / damage on the system?

Restart the system and press f2 on startup to enter BIOS - check if the HDD is detected in BIOS.

Disconnect the adapter and battery and press and hold the power button for 30 seconds to release any static power. Then test the system with the adapter only / battery only.

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional. Also, run an extended / thorough tests on the HDD and memory to check for any possible errors. 

If there are no errors on diagnostics, then test another HDD on the system and check. Or test this HDD on another system. If another good known HDD works on this system, then replace the HDD. If the good known HDD also does not work, then the HDD controller might be faulty and the motherboard needs to be replaced.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!