Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2017 10:00

Booting from a USB flash drive- Inspiron

Booting from a USB flash drive

I use Macrium reflect imaging software and plan to be prepared for a crash.

The problem is that for the recovery the Laptop  would have to boot from the flash drive and in order to do so I would have to change the boot order--which was easy in older laptops. Now in the Inspiron and others, you have safe boot, fast boot, legacy boot, etc and choosing what to do is complicated and threatening. I tried tweaking once  in a Dell and later could not boot the laptop.

Please advise.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 28th, 2017 11:00

The way to boot a device on a temporary basis is using the F12 key during boot and use the Boot Device Menu.  Make sure and select the UEFI version if you are running a UEFI configuration.  You don't need to change anything and the next time you boot, the normal boot priority will be used.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 28th, 2017 11:00

Macrium Reflect recovery media will boot a UEFI system just fine - it's best to make the media on the system you want to use the recovery for, and do so AFTER the system is fully configured teh way you want to run it.

37 Posts

May 28th, 2017 17:00

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunetely they do not answer my question. Within the set up F12 or F2 you have multiple uptions you have to deal with in order to boot from a USB drive in the Dell Inspireon 1556.

You have to tweak secure boot, legacy , UEFI etc in a sequence I don't know. Last time tried I could not boot into the laptop.

Please someone a step by step procedure on how to do this in able to use my recovery USB drive from Macrium.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 28th, 2017 18:00

If the drive was made with PE 4.0 (see below), all you need to do is press F12 and boot from it.

reflect.macrium.com/.../Create_a_Standard_Windows_PE_Rescue_Environment.htm

(edited)

37 Posts

Thanks but entering F12 does not give you a straight forward option to choose USB for booting. It's not like it was in the past. My reply points to my frustration.

Please advise

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

How was the flash drive prepared?  What version of Reflect?  And did you choose to make it with PE 4.0 ?

37 Posts

Thanks everybody. Looks like I got it right this time. F12 and the option to boot from my Sansdisk  USB showed up. Went ahead and it booted into Macrium.

Thanks

No Events found!