Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 20th, 2013 08:00

Brand New XPS 15. Backlight is not working

HI,

I have tried fn f6 and I can't find the Windows Mobility center which is mentioned in the other posts about this problem. I am running Windows 8.

Thanks,

Steve

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

May 20th, 2013 08:00

Hi Steve,

I suggest you to uninstall the quickset drivers, restarting the computer and reinstalling the Quickset drivers.

Access the Windows Tools Menu by use the key combination WIN KEY + X, from the list of options select “Programs and features”, in “Programs and features” window right click “Quickset” or “Quickset64” and select Uninstall, follow the onscreen instructions to complete the uninstallation and restart the system.

Install the Quickset drivers.

Restart the system and Press Fn + F6 to enable backlight on the keyboard.

Kindly post the results.

May 20th, 2013 10:00

Hi Nikhil,

When I tried installing them, I got an error message saying this isn't a supported system.

Steve

May 21st, 2013 08:00

I just tried installing the a second time with the same results, which is weird because they had been installed originally and I uninstalled them. Why would a re-installation be an issue?

May 21st, 2013 08:00

Hello Nikhil,

Are you there?

When I tried reinstalling the Quickset drivers, I got an error message saying this isn't a supported system.

-Steve

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

May 21st, 2013 10:00

Hi Steve,

Please try to install this Quickset driver and check if that helps.

Also, please post the complete system model and results.

Awaiting your response!

May 21st, 2013 12:00

This version of quickset loaded. I restarted the computer and still no backlight. It is an XPS L521X.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

May 22nd, 2013 07:00

Hi Steve,

You can change backlight settings such as power save mode, backlight status etc.

Browse to c:\program file\dell\quickset and  Launch BacklitKB.exe. the page looks as follows:

Change the Keyboard lighting settings as per the image and click ‘Ok’.

Please let me know the results.

May 22nd, 2013 09:00

Hi Nikhil,

It still doesn't work. My backlight window looks like the following:

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

May 23rd, 2013 03:00

Hi Steve,

This situation requires more research, for me to also understand the system specifications, please private message the system service tag, contact number and registered owner’s name.

To private message, Click on my user name and Click start conversation. 

Awaiting your response!

May 23rd, 2013 13:00

Hi Nikhil,

How do I PM you? You e-mailed me from a "do not reply" address.

-S

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

May 24th, 2013 06:00

Hi Steve,

Click my user name ‘DELL-NikhilD’ and click 'Start conversation' on the next page and private message me the system service tag, contact number and registered owner’s name.

July 22nd, 2013 11:00

I am very happy with the service I received from Nikhil. He is patient and stuck with me during a long process and worked with me even when I was slow to respond.

No Events found!