Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 2nd, 2016 09:00

Brand new Dell Inspiron 15 5559 freezes

Hi,

I recently bought Dell inspiron 15 5559 laptop. It is i7-6500u @ 2.50GHz  2.60GHz with 8Gb ram. The problem I have is it freezes a lot. It even freezes while watching a movie or browsing chrome. I've run the Dell online diagnostics tool as well as system diagnostics but it passed every test without any problems.Some times it wont freeze for a long time and sometimes it would freeze a lot.

I would be thankful for the help.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 2nd, 2016 10:00

You need to start gathering info about the exact circumstances when the problems are occurring.  Is it after a restart or some other event?  Can you tell if the hard drive is working?

Use the Performance page of Task Manger and watch the Drive and CPU usage.  You might open the Resource Monitor and do the same thing.

There are many utilities on my new system put there by Dell.  Also anti-virus and indexing or even log writing utilities can cause high activity on systems.

Basically, just try to be aware of what is happening with the system and if you can tie it to a circumstance or time.  Check the Event Viewer to see if there are recurring errors/warnings.

December 2nd, 2016 22:00

I used performance page of Task Manager to watch the Drive and CPU usage while watching a movie. Every time the movie hangs my CPU usage was normal but my Dive usage was 100 percent while average response time,read speed and write speed was 0. So is it a problem with my hard drive?? but I just bought the laptop. What could be causing the problem?

247 Posts

December 3rd, 2016 07:00

So have you checked to see if it freezes with other browsers doing the same tasks? That hardware should easily play any video content especially if its html5 which would hardly place a dent in resources.

My 5559 i5 6200u was freezing and turned out to be a bad graphic driver. First thing is to try video streaming with another browser to see if it happens. If not then your problem is probably with Chrome.

No Events found!