Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 21st, 2016 17:00

Brand new Dell Inspiron 15 7000 won't turn off, stuck on black screen

The keyboard on my new Windows 10 Dell laptop stopped working completely so I tried shutting down. Windows seems to have shut down but the computer won't turn off (the keyboard backlights are still on and the fans are going). Pressing and holding down the power button (even for over a minute) does nothing, I can't pull the battery as it's inbuilt.

Is there anything I can do other than waiting for the battery to run itself out? And what if it doesn't turn on again after that?

2 Posts

September 27th, 2016 06:00

In the end I did pull the battery, as it's fairly easily accessible by removing one screw. It worked for me but I wouldn't recommend doing this as it probably affects your warranty.

532 Posts

September 22nd, 2016 02:00

Hi,

We’re listening, we’ll surely check and assist you accordingly. Please PM us with the service tag, registered owner’s name and your email address, we’ll look into available options. To send a private message, click on my name and select ‘Send private message’.

2 Posts

September 26th, 2016 15:00

I'm having the same exact problem with the same laptop. Is there any solution available?

2 Posts

September 26th, 2016 15:00

I'm having this exact same problem. same laptop. Were you able to find a solution?

1 Message

February 6th, 2017 01:00

Hi  just recently purchased dell laptop last Jan 28 2017. Now after just 9 days I experienced the same problem. The laptop, upon signing in, turned blank and cannot be turned off. Removing of battery is not an option since it is built in. Now I am returning it to the computer store where I bought it and see what they can do.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 6th, 2017 06:00

You might be able to connect an external monitor.

If your system is in the right place, try using key combinations to shut it down.  Using an esc kay may set it up.

winkey+x

up arrow

up arrow

right arrow

u

27 Posts

March 4th, 2017 20:00

Same exact problem to the letter with dell inspiron 7559 less than 3 months old. Holding down the power button for even a minute does nothing. I'm going to have to go in there and pull the battery, but it's not such a smart thing to do with the power on even if it is only a battery. Dell, please, don't cheap out on the power button. No one said this but it probably bears mentioning that the computer is frozen. That's what the OP meant by keyboard stopped working. The screen is blank. The backlit keys are lit. The power button is lit. The fan is on the loud side. Machine won't sleep when you close the lid. I set this machine up and I'm a big believer in the power button turns the machine on and off. I'm not a big fan of hibernation, sleeping etc. and I tend to disable them. And my son doesn't fiddle with things so I doubt he adjusted those power management settings.

1 Message

June 9th, 2017 04:00

I had the same problem today and saw your post. Pulled the battery (more precisely, disconnected & reconnected the battery cable to the motherboard) and it worked. Booted up fine after that. Thanks for your suggestion. Disappointed there wasn't any further follow-up from any Dell Support people on this thread.

1 Message

October 24th, 2017 16:00

After a year of dealing with the same problem, I finally found a solution on another forum that works. Take the RAM out of your laptop and put it back in. One is probably out of place and that's what's causing the problem. If you don't know how to access the RAM, you can find a Youtube video on it. If this works for anyone, give it a thumbs up so more people can see.

2 Posts

November 17th, 2017 03:00

I am having the same problem with 3000 series. It was ok to start but now a real problem

No Events found!