Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2012 11:00

Brand new Laptop Dell XPS 15z Overheating like crazy

Hi,

I just got my new dell xps 15z, last week, and having some big temperature issues, my laptop is overheating like crazy 98°C top measuring with HW monitor. and finally shuting down. i wonder if this a xps 15z problem, cuz i buy 2 of this laptop one for me, and one for my little brother,. and my little bro laptop having the same issues. so i wonder what should i do, if there is some driver update solution, or call tech support for replacement dont know really.

Im very sad about this cuz the expectation for the laptop was huge, and this is like my 5 pc that i buy from dell, and the first one having this issues. =(

waiting for some solutions.

• 

6.9K Posts

February 10th, 2012 12:00

Hello,

What you can do is to boot into the diagnostics by hitting F12 key on the dell startup screen then choose the diagnostics.  It will go through a series of test.  Once that completes you can then boot into 32 bit diagnostics.  Once in there choose custom test and choose CPU test.  This will test the CPU and the fan to make sure that they are set correctly.  Once the test finishes then exit out of the diagnostics & boot normally.  If at any time you get an error code while running the test then write it down & you will need to call tech support so they can see what is causing the error.

Let us know how it goes.

2 Posts

February 10th, 2012 14:00

i do that, and several normal test ran, but when i do the fan test it drops this message.

Error Code - 2000-0512

Validation - 4425

Msg; FAN - The [processor fan] fan is running faster then expected.

well i think is a fan problem, is running really fast, and when the CPU need more speed, the fan just cant, well waitign for some answer DELL-Sam L

• 

6.9K Posts

February 10th, 2012 14:00

Hello,

Based on that error you will need to open a support ticket.  There is an issue with the Heat sink not able to cool the processor or the processor running hot and not cooling even though the fan is running at high speed.  My guess is that they will want to replace both the heat sink and the processor to ensure that the heating issue is resolved.

Let us know how it goes

No Events found!