Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 17th, 2015 19:00

Brand new XPS 15 9550 issues right out of the box

Received my new XPS 15 9550 after waiting 1 month from the order date. Got it out of the box, logged in and started getting "nVidia driver crashed and recovered messages" rapidly... then bluescreen, reboot, etc.

After two hours of troubleshooting, I decided to perform a fresh install of Windows 10. Everything appeared to be going great, right up until I installed the Dell nVidia drivers... and boom here we go again, except, now it skipped the driver crash/recoveries... the system just bluescreens. Some times the bluescreen is generic and sometime it says CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED.

It would appear it is something related to the graphics driver because the issue didn't show up until I installed the graphics driver (and I purposely waited until the very end of my software installs to install the driver). I can usually tell just before its about to BSOD because the system becomes sluggish.

I am hoping someone from Dell can help identify the issue and resolve this. I have been working on this issue all day and am frustrated to say the least.

1 Message

April 7th, 2016 08:00

Hello,

I know this is a 4 months old post but I ran into the same problems with my brand new XPS 15 9550 received in March 2016. I had frequent BSODs (at least once a day), most of times stating CRTICAL_PROCESS_DIED, I couldn't let my laptop running more than a couple of hours without having it crashing and restarting, preventing me from doing any heavy software download or doing a full backup for example, this was very frustrating and I was ready to return the laptop which was nothing more than a useless piece of hardware...

But after 3 wasted weekends of struggle, I finally found a solution and I wanted to share it in case some people were still having those kind of troubles.

The problem was caused by the SSD driver. My laptop came with the 1TB Samsung PM951 NVMe, originally configured in RAID but which I changed to AHCI (because I intend to set a dual boot later).

I fixed it by downloading the Samsung NVMe Driver Installer directly from the Samsung website:
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

The documentation states this driver "only supports the Samsung NVMe SSD 950 PRO" but you can go ahead and install it, it works perfectly with the PM951.

And that's it! I didn't touch the BIOS firmware or graphics driver. I didn't have any BSOD since I installed this driver a few days ago although I've been performing heavy tasks every night since then.

Hope that will help!

Ben

16 Posts

November 19th, 2015 17:00

After 3 days of troubleshooting with Dell support, it appears the fix is to use the Microsoft Windows 10 driver (at least for now). I have rebuilt the machine completely and only installed the Microsoft update driver and all is good so far... Have been up for over an hour with no issues (where before I could run for 5 mins then BSOD).

Dell will be posting an updated stable driver shortly.

38 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 15:00

This should not be the suggested answer.  I have done the same thing and did not fix anything.

38 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 15:00

Please do not make answers suggested unless you know for a fact that will solve his issue.  Which most likely it will not.  

16 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 17:00

Sorry, must have accidentally hit that. Since I don't have a functional laptop, I have to respond on my phone. My apologies.

November 22nd, 2015 19:00

I had this issue as well... I am currently using a brand new Samsung SSD that I had Dell send me.. Immediately did the fall Windows update 1511... haven't had any issues since.

Also maybe make sure you have the newest .7 BIOS, which also helped resolve some issues.

I also learned that this Samsung SSD, if you have it in your machine, does NOT like AHCI mode in the bios, keep it in RAID mode even if you aren't utilizing a RAID setup. There is a reason dell sends it factory set to RAID and I discovered why with all the issues I had running a fresh windows install in AHCI mode or my SSD was bad (Built-In Dell Diagnostics said it was). One of the two...

38 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 21:00

The ahci from raid 0 is a issue but it is somewhat known.  Does not make it ok but it has to do with drivers.  From what I understand is you bought your computer from dell? There are a ton of other issues you will discover.  I suggest returning it and going with something else.  Sadly they seemed to know that they were releasing a computyer that no other pc company could compete with at the time and released a *** product.  I also think they took advantage of their xps13 success knowing many consumers would think if the xps13 was the best laptop of the year a bigger more powerfull version would be a amazing.  Dell ***.  No quality control, no respect for their consumers.  They give pc computers a terrible reputation.  Imagine the number of issues you have had right out of the box.  Do you think it will get fuxed or be a lasting computer.  Dell ***...theys quality ***....their help ***....if they simply focues on quality and not marketing and producing products at a low cost point they would be successful.  They are the next gateway....just Gateway had better computers.

No Events found!