Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 27th, 2015 16:00

Bricked 14z 5423

Hello everyone this is my first post, please excuse me if I'm not support to put this here but I didn't know where else to post this question.

A friend of mine bought a used 14z 5423 which I upgraded for him from Windows 8.1 Enterprise to Windows 10 Pro. After a successful installation, an attempt was made at a clean install using the built in reset feature. This resulted in a blue screen which stated to use recovery media to reinstall Windows. After rebooting the computer the screen remained black and three short beeps were projected from the speakers. I'm certain that this is due to a corrupted BIOS.

Is there a way to flash the BIOS (say with a USB flash drive and the extracted BIOS .rom file) without using an EEPROM programmer or replacing the chip entirely. I know very little about using an EEPROM programmer and have no idea where the chip is located on the board. If there is no alternative I would most certainly be interested in learning more about these if someone could direct me to a resource that covers these topics.

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 27th, 2015 20:00

Hi espfoew,

Dell Inspiron 14z 5423 has not been tested for Windows 10 operating system. You will need to replace the system board on the computer for fixing it. Please private message us the system tag and the region you are located so that I can check and assist you further. To send a private message, click on my name and send private message.

18 Posts

November 19th, 2015 01:00

Hi

Just interested to know whether you managed to sort this?  I have a very similar problem.  Same laptop 14z 5423.  Uprgaded to Windows 10.  It worked for a few days, but now refuses to boot and I get the same 3 beep code, which indicates a motherboard failure.

There was no warning.  No previous problems.

I've contacted Dell support, who very kindly have offered to repair it for me.  Given that it is only about 2 years old (it only had a 1 year warranty), they will have to charge.  Their usual charge would be £789 GBP (about $1200 US)!  Nearly twice what I paid for the whole laptop when it was new!!  But seeing as I'm such a good customer (my whole company has run on dell hardware for the past 10 years or so), they've very generously offered to discount this cost by a whole 5%!  So only £750 ($1140).

I could obviously buy a far better specified new machine for this sort of money, so either they're fairly stupid to make the offer, or they think I'm going to be stupid enough to accept it.

Either way, they obviously believe that I ought to be happy with a lightly used 'Ultrabook' that's spent 98% of its life on a desk and never left the property it was originally delivered to, lasting for only 2 years.

Funnily enough, I'm not at all happy with that and find there repair offer nothing but insulting.

No Events found!