Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

November 7th, 2017 07:00

Bricked Laptop after enabling SATA 4 and 5 in the BIOS (System Configuration - DRIVE)

I foolishly enabled the options in the BIOS system configuration - Drive tab trying to make an external eSATA cable recognised my spare hard drive. 

How the Dell E6230 will not boot and will not POST.

I am unable to access the BIOS to reset to default or to disable the SATA 4/5 toggles.

Is there any way to 

1. Restore the default BIOS settings

or

2. Flash the BIOS from a USB or CD to get the computer to reboot.

I have discovered that the BIOS is doing something to the RAM modules

pressing FN+POWER cause the Battery LED to flash white. All other LED are BLANK

The RAM modules when placed in another E6230 then refuse to work until a memory test is carried out to wipe them! 

This would go against everything I know about RAM modules not retaining information after powering off but this is what I found.

Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

November 8th, 2017 12:00

Thank you for your message.

Please disconnect the power cord & remove the battery. Press & hold down the power button for 30 seconds, this will remove the static.

Connect the battery & power cord back in & check if the light on the adapter stays on.

Check the status of the hard drive, power & wireless led to see if this blink in a particular fashion.         

Please try to remove all the memory modules & start the computer, check if there is a beep error.

For my reference, please click on my Dell username & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

No Events found!