Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 8th, 2015 19:00

Brightness controls not working on XPS 12

A couple of weeks ago the brightness controls stopped working on my XPS 12. I've had it for nearly 2 years now, and never had this problem before - I could always adjust the brightness either by using the keyboard shortcuts or by using the Windows 8 brightness control from the charms bar. Now I can only adjust the brightness by restarting the machine, opening the BIOS and using the keyboard shortcuts from there. Not very practical!

I've tried using the brightness setting in the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, but that doesn't work.

I've also tried altering the power settings to disable the adaptive brightness in all power profiles, no change.

At this point I can only assume that an automatic software update has caused the problem, but even reverting to an older version of the Intel driver hasn't made a difference. I'm currently using the recommended driver from the Dell support web site.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

6 Posts

May 18th, 2015 01:00

Hi Hema,

Yes, I finally did a system refresh this past weekend, and it fixed the problem!

Windows was also showing some other problems, such as the Immersive Browser not working properly and, most recently, apps not connecting to the Internet. It appears that there has been some registry corruption or something similar that became progressively worse.

Anyway, all good now, so thanks for your help.

Bill.

April 8th, 2015 21:00

Hi,

Please uninstall the video drivers from device manager and update them from support site (make sure you uninstall first).

Update the BIOS as well.

Let us know how it goes.

Else you can try doing a system restore to an earlier date when the brightness was working fine inside windows.

Regards

April 10th, 2015 23:00

Hi,
How is it going with the system. Have you tried the steps as suggested.
Regards

6 Posts

April 12th, 2015 19:00

Hi Hema,

Sorry to take a while to get back to you.

As suggested I uninstalled the video driver from the Device Manager, and Windows immediately reinstalled a default driver and requested a restart, which I did.

I then upgraded the BIOS to the latest version, then installed the latest video driver from the Dell support site. During the installation it said that I would be installing an earlier version than the one already present, which I assume is the version automatically installed by Windows.

There has been no change in the problem - I still can't adjust the brightness in any way, save by (I assume) going to the BIOS config screen and using the keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks, Bill.

April 15th, 2015 12:00

Hi, 

Just curious to know, did you upgrade to windows 8.1.?? If yes, did the issue start post upgrade ??

How about a system restore??

Its definitely a software issue though. 

Regards

6 Posts

April 15th, 2015 16:00

No, I've been using Windows 8.1 since it became available, and it has always worked fine with it.

I only have two system restores available and they only go back a few days.

I'm thinking my best option might be to do a system refresh, I've just got to choose a time to do it when I don't need my PC for a while!

I've found this possible solution, will give it a try and will let you know how I go.

Bill.

April 17th, 2015 20:00

Hi, 

Do give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Regards

April 21st, 2015 18:00

Hi, 

Just curious to know if you tried the system refresh.

Regards

No Events found!