Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2015 13:00

Bug Report: A03 bios for Dell XPS 13 (2015) causing keyboard repeating keypresses

This is an odd issue, which I thought I should bring to the attention of the Dell team somehow.

I installed the A03 bios for my XPS 13 a few days ago, when it was pushed out to my laptop. Immediately, I started to get the 'repeating keypresses' issue that a few people have reported. Button presses, especially to the spacebar, started to appear twice when the button was only pressed once. This was an intermittent issue - I'd roughly estimate it was one keypress in ten, if not less.

Surprised, I rolled back the bios to A02, then to A01, then to A00. Only on rolling back to A00 did the problem resolve itself. I'm currently running the A00 bios and the problem is gone. Which is fine, as I didn't have any complaints to begin with, but it's rather odd that a bios update breaks things rather than fixing them.

I'm aware this is probably not a widespread issue (otherwise I would have read more complaints about it) but I thought the team should be aware.

Many thanks. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 9th, 2015 08:00

Can confirm.

Installed A03 today and now I get duplicate keypresses every now and then, it's mildly annoying. I haven't tried rolling back to a previous BIOS.

Dell XPS 13 (9343) running Windows 8.1

1 Message

April 10th, 2015 08:00

Same here! 

The repeat-key issue is back and happens more often than in the A01 version of the BIOS...

6 Posts

April 12th, 2015 03:00

Downgraded to A00 and the keyboard seems to be fixed! However now the fan runs constantly. Looks like I'm going to have to return it after all :(

6 Posts

April 12th, 2015 03:00

My XPS arrived with A01 and haad this problem (see thiss post, for example). I upgraded to A03 which is no better. Guess I should try rolling baack to AA00. For me it sseems to mosty aaffect letters in the lower left of the keyboard: a, s, d, z, x & c. It's unbearable.

April 20th, 2015 00:00

Experiencing the same problem, on A03. MMost of the time it's a double C but other keys are also affeccted. I don't see a lot of responses on what I would consider quite a large issue for anyone that uses the laptop. A comment from a Dell representative confirming that they are at least aware of the issue would be nice.

10 Posts

April 21st, 2015 07:00

same problem.  downgrading to A00 fixed it.  I've logged a job with Dell support and got sent on a wild goose chase completely off topic from the issue.  

Dell need to sort this out.

1 Message

April 30th, 2015 14:00

Same here on A03 bios, its getting really annoying.

Please fix it Dell, should never have got through QA.

9 Posts

April 30th, 2015 21:00

Same here. Just got my XP3 13 DE today with A03 installed, and the spacebar and "c" keys in particular are *constantly* registering double key presses. It's extremely irritating (I corrected over 15 extra spaces in this message alone!) If it can't be fixed I'm considering returning it, I can't develop like this.

May 3rd, 2015 10:00

Observing the same problem. Repeated "i" keystrokes, relatively frequent, right out of the box.

2 Posts

May 5th, 2015 07:00

I got my XPS 13 DE yesterday. Installed Arch Linux on it. I'm also experiencing this issue. It's not very frequent but it still occurs sometime. I hope that Dell will recognize the problem and fix it.

29 Posts

May 6th, 2015 08:00

I also received an XPS 13 (9343) yesterday and BIOS version A03 was already installed and this keyboard problem is beyond frustrating. Multiple keys repeat constantly. It took over 3 weeks to get this laptop and now it seems that I have to send it back. Incredible.

74 Posts

May 6th, 2015 15:00

For anyone that is affected by this issue I strongly recommend you to send your notebook back to Dell within your 30 days return window. It can take several months for a new BIOS update to come out to address an issue.

Take a look at this thread

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19593360

May 6th, 2015 17:00

These are "developer edition" machines running Ubuntu.

The problem occurs immediately out of the box. (Literally as you are setting your password, etc., in the initial configuration screens.)

The problem does not occur with an external keyboard.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

Hi,

I would suggest you to connect an external USB keyboard to check if the issue reoccurs.

Also, we need to check if the issue is caused due to any application installed on the system. So please clean boot the system using the link below and then reinstall the touchpad drivers on the system.

http://dell.to/1eOndyH

Please let me know if this helps.

12 Posts

I would suggest you to connect an external USB keyboard to check if the issue reoccurs.

Most of the people on this thread, like myself, would have gone through the normal support channels and tested this already. It does not fix the problem. For Windows-based systems the problem was evident in BIOS versions A01 and later. This BIOS "fixed" some keyboard behaviour for Linux but was not perfect and causes repeated keystrokes across all OS's now.

Also, we need to check if the issue is caused due to any application installed on the system. So please clean boot the system using the link below and then reinstall the touchpad drivers on the system.

I have done this already. I have used 3 different Dell XPS 13 machines, all in various states of "factory fresh" and not, and they all exhibit the problem once they have A01 or later BIOS installed.

I'm not sure how re-installed the non-existant touchpad drivers will fix this problem. The touchpad installer is firmware for the touchpad which is irreversible. There are no "drivers" for the touchpad as it is a "precision touchpad" which is handled directly by the Windows OS.

Can you please escalate this to the product team, as I have already tried to do on Twitter and various other mechanisms. Alternatively some information directly from Dell on whether a new BIOS is going to fix this problem would be great.

No Events found!