Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 12th, 2015 10:00

Buzzing/stuttering during audio playback on xps 13 9333

Hi,

Recently I've been having some problems playing back any sort of media.  At regular intervals the audio will freeze/skip for a second and make a loud buzzing noise, then resume.  This happens with both music and streaming videos. If I'm watching a video, the screen will freeze for a second, buzz, then resume.

I'm using an xps 13 9333 with Windows 8.1 64-bit.

I've tried everything I could think of, updating all my drivers, reinstalling codecs, running anti-virus, and cleaning out my system.

Any suggestions?

4 Posts

February 14th, 2015 09:00

I'm having the same problem with the freeze and buzz. Absolutely not okay to just randomly install bad software onto our computers! My computer was fine until February 11th. I spent 6 hours of my day off yesterday updating all suggested driver items on Dell's website then found this forum late last night. Not happy right now :(

4 Posts

February 14th, 2015 09:00

To those of you who are saying uninstalling the bad Dell software items is not resolving your issue: IMPORTANTLY, a) you should only uninstall these items while running with administrative rights (e.g., as Administrator), and b) you must reboot your system immediately after the uninstalls.  If these things do not resolve your issue, then try to revert your system to a restore point that is prior to 2/11/2015.

1 Message

February 14th, 2015 10:00

Vostro 5460 - Windows 8.1

Still having the same problem even after uninstalling support assist programs. It happens every minute or so, sometimes in just seconds. It's not just the buzzing noise though. I've noticed that it happens even when no audio or video are being played. Mouse and screen freezes for a second then resumes. Playing audio and video just helps identify when the problem is happening. 

Hope somebody finds a solution fast.

(Problem started less than 24 hours ago)

1 Message

February 14th, 2015 10:00

I uninstalled dell support assistant and Agent software. Thanks for the fix. Worked great!  How do you uninstall citrix client?

February 14th, 2015 13:00

Vin How do I do that?

6 Posts

it seems that the real problem is with Dell Data Vault and Dell Data Vault Wizard, are tools installed with the Dell assistent.  To solve this is necessary to shut down them in  the task manager and then set up so that the service does not start again when you Windows start up.

Well I did also try a system restore which does not help either. 

1 Message

February 14th, 2015 14:00

Brilliant solution. I removed both Dell programs as mentioned.

Problem is solved now.  Windows 7.  Dell XPS L502X.

7 Posts

Thank you everyone for figuring this out and posting. I'm another L502X who was having this issue across multiple applications and also noticed that the mouse would freeze during the audio glitches but the audio was the easiest symptom to notice. 

I was about to start removing the most recent microsoft updates if I hadn't seen these posts.

It's real nice that Dell automatically updated this unnecessary software for my old computer introducing such a large bug, and yet won't provide an update to let their blu ray player load new disks. en.community.dell.com/.../20716363

7 Posts

Another L502X user with this problem. Following the advice here I uninstalled the agent and now everything is back to normal. Thank you all for posting.

If I hadn't found this off a link from Tom's Hardware, I was about to start uninstalling the most recent MS updates. Even though I saw the install messages earlier this week from the Dell App, I was thinking that it was the old app and it had been reset to factory defaults.

It is real nice that Dell invisibly updates this program for older systems and introduces such an absurd bug yet they won't update their blu ray drive so that it can play the newest releases en.community.dell.com/.../20716363

3 Posts

February 14th, 2015 15:00

Seems like disabling the Dell Data Vault and Dell Data Vault helped for me too. I could not stop it in the task manager but turned off on the start up and that was enough. Or at least no more stuttering sounds so far. Thank you! 

9 Posts

February 14th, 2015 15:00

This started for me 2 days ago. On multiple computers. One was a DELL Inspiron N71110 bought in 2012. The other is a newer Dell Inspiron 2013

I just uninstalled both DELL support assist apps and the problem is solved.

So this is not an XPS issue - how many millions are affected by this issue?? Dell needs to fix this!!!

2 Posts

February 14th, 2015 16:00

My L502x had the same issue.  Resolved by uninstalling the Dell Agent stuff.  Shame on Dell.

February 14th, 2015 17:00

I have an XPS L502x and I uninstalled the Dell support assist stuff and it only partially fixed the problem. I no longer get the buzzing when I play audio or videos but it still happens whenever I play a game. I'm not quite sure what to do so any help would be appreciated.

2 Posts

February 14th, 2015 17:00

Exact same issue here and same solution. Feb 12 crapware got installed and fried my media playback. Uninstalling it solved the whole issue.

No Events found!