garuda777.
2 Bronze

RE: Buzzing/stuttering during audio playback on xps 13 9333

Jump to solution

Defenitly fixed the problem.I had to do a system restore to remove supportassist, but no more skip and buzzing. Thanks.

0 Kudos
StvLwyer
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem with my Dell xps 13. I uninstalled both of the Dell Assist programs - using the Uninstall Programs - but the problem continues. It is incredibly annoying. Can anyone suggest something else I should do ?

0 Kudos
sonora77
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

You could create a restore point, then go into the Uninstall Programs, sort by date, and uninstall things installed since you noticed the problem - most people here had it since about 2/11/15.  Uninstall one or two things, reboot, check until you've covered the newer things installed.  If that works, great.  Otherwise, you could then restore to your restore point if you want to try other things.  You could also try coming up in safe mode (F8) and see if it happens there, when many things are not loaded.  If that works, then the problem is software and it's a matter of finding which software item loaded during the boot process is causing the problem.

I think this is a hard problem to diagnose.  I tried installing the Microsoft default audio driver and it also had problems, leading me to conclude that it was a hardware issue.  However, the Dell Assist programs were affecting other parts of the system, not just audio, but I didn't realize that.  I feel fortunate that I found Wildmanyeah's solution here.

0 Kudos
RandyGibbons
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Uninstalling the Dell Support programs as you did should have automatically removed two system devices, Dell Diag Control Device (which is the culprit) and Dell System Analyzer Control Device. Go to the Device Manager (from the Control Panel) and look for these under System devices. If they are sill there, disable them; if not, then I don't know what to suggest, though

If you are familiar and comfortable with DPC latency detect and performance analysis software (I'm not), you should be able to isolate the problem (it's really easy to at least find dpclat.exe for free and run it to see if you are getting DPC spikes, which are the problem). I'm new to this Dell Forum, and I can't see that it's possible to put links into these postings (if it is, someone please tell me!). But search for the thread "Audio Stutters and Buzzing Caused by DPC Latency" on the SevenForums.com site; there you will get a good technical explanation of the problem (I'm assuming the underlying problem is the same in all cases) and some further good links to check out.

View solution in original post

StvLwyer
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Randy, thank you SO much. Going into device manager and disabling those two devices worked !

Steve

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
dgm741
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@Stvlwyer.... Fire up Task Manager.  Go to View => Update Speed and set it to "High" to increase the sensitivity necessary to observe the problem".  Display "Processes" and click on CPU to sort the CPU column to descending, high to low. Now fire up some music or what ever it takes to hear the problem.

Watch the task manager screen and when the "bzzzt" sound happens, you should see the responsible process or service pop up to the top of the process column.  Mine was the Delldatavault service, but I think you have already uninstalled that.  You will have to watch task manager for several minutes to catch and confirm the culprit. Also, display the clock such that it shows seconds. Then you'll know just when the "bzzzt" is about to happen as it occurs at exactly 60 second intervals.  

.... Don 

0 Kudos
bdfk
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi,

I recently started having exactly the same buzzing that you have described, but uninstalling Dell Support Assist and Dell Support Agent hasn't solve the problem.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
7 Gold

Jump to solution

I'm new to this Dell Forum, and I can't see that it's possible to put links into these postings (if it is, someone please tell me!).

Hello Randy. Thanks for contributing to the forum.

If you want to make a word or words into a link, highlight the word or words, then click the link button on the toolbar. (Find the smiley face and go 4 to the left -- it is in the shape of links in a chain but is grayed out until a word is highlighted). When the pop up dialog opens, paste the link address into the top box -- in other words replace the word in the box with the address.

Skip the "anchor" box. You can skip the "target" box but I always select "open in a new Window" so that when a person clicks on the link the browser will open a new tab and not navigate away from the thread. Skip the "title" line then click "Insert".

If you rather make a link out of a naked url address, paste the address into the post and press your Enter key. The forum software sometimes automatically makes it into a link, but if not just highlight the address and use the link button to make it a link.

Jim Coates -- 16 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
StvLwyer
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

When I followed Randy's post about going into Device Manager and looking under System for remaining entries for Dell Assist, I found that BOTh of the items Randy pointed out were still in the list - although I had deleted the programs. I followed what Randy indicated - disabling the two items - and have had no problems.

I should also point out that a later post indicates that using Task Manager one can pinpoint the actual problem if it isn't the Dell Assist (for example Dell Datavault - which I had already deleted some time ago). I didn't have to go that route because Randy's suggestion had already fixed the issue for me.

Steve 

RandyGibbons
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks, Jim! It's simply my "refrigerator problem" at work. That is, my wife asks me to get the guacamole from the frig, I look but can't find it, she has to come and point it out to me right under my nose. An oft-repeated scenario!

So here is the link I wanted to take people to.

0 Kudos