spk76
2 Bronze

RE: Buzzing/stuttering during audio playback on xps 13 9333

Jump to solution

Dell XPS 17 L702X laptop - uninstalling the Dell Support Assist and Dell Support Agent as suggested just did the trick for the audio stutter problem. Thanks! 

0 Kudos
DELL-Terry B
DellEMC

Jump to solution

I apologize for the inconvenience. Dell is aware of the problem and has a hotfix if you would like to continue to use Support Assist. You can find more on what Support Assist here on its community page.

Go here
* Under the "End User" tab, click "SupportAssist for PCs and tablets"
* Download/save the file "aulauncher.exe" to your windows desktop
* Run the file
* Reboot when done
* Download/save the hotfix from this share
* Double-click the exe file. You should get a message saying “Successfully applied the hotfix, please reboot your system for the changes to take effect”

Please let me know if you have any questions.

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

View solution in original post

RandyGibbons
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thank you, Terry. I appreciate Dell's acknowledgement of the problem.

After this experience, I am leery, and I imagine many of the others here likewise are, of reinstalling SupportAssist, since I depend on properly functioning audio for much of what I use the computer for. Could you tell us a little about what SupportAssist is: Is it new? What is its purpose? How does it work, and does it always run (and hence use resources), in the background?

I'm definitely not averse to having a good support tool, but ...

Randy Gibbons

tpparthiban
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks a lot !  

I had had the same issue with Dell XPS 15 L502X running windows 7 64 bit.

I uninstalled both Dell support assist and Dell support agent and now it has been fixed. 

0 Kudos
Robert279
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks Terry.

XPS L502X user with the same problem. After a few days of restarting routers and servers thinking it might be a wifi problem, I stumbled across this forum, thank goodness.

I applied your hotfix and it was sorted in seconds (but how many 10's of thousands of machines must be affected?).

Aniruddha S

Jump to solution

SupportAssist for PC’s, tablet and laptop provides our customers with the most up to date system information and optimal health diagnostics, as we continue to evolve our support technology. SupportAssist has expanded capabilities and updates will display under this new software release. It is designed to help you streamline your support experience and reduce downtime. SupportAssist is a full featured automated, proactive and predictive support tool available for PCs and tablets. This tool is available for both consumers and commercial users, but features are based on level of support agreement with Dell.

SupportAssist is similar to MyDell with the addition of auto dispatch, and for systems with ProSupport and ProSupport Plus, auto case creation. New SupportAssist features will include software fixes (Click2Fix), video stress diagnostics, new technology diagnostics.

The SupportAssist team appreciates you bringing issues and feedback to our attention and will strive to address them openly and quickly. Dell Tech Support can help you through chat and phone.

Regards

Aniruddha S

0 Kudos
MikeyDC
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

THANK YOU WildManYeah !!  

I had the exact same problem with playback stuttering and buzzing.  (For both video and MP3)  Took me several days to find this thread.  Dell Vostro 3750.  Win 7 Professional, SP 1. 

Uninstalled both Dell Support Assist programs and the problem went away *immediately*. 

MAJOR FAIL FOR DELL.  I know *I* am seething angry at you, and I think there's probably many more like me.  I've spent *hours* trying to correct this problem, and off the suggestion of other threads, removed and reinstalled tons of drivers and even my bios.  Shame on you Dell.  You never even sent an email out warning people of this problem. See if I buy a Dell the next time...

0 Kudos
JjeremyW
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Aniruddha,

Thank you for this. I have an out of warranty Inspiron 1570 with Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (64-bit) SP1, previously with My Dell, which I was happy with. I'm keen to retain Support Assist but want to know whether I need Support Assist Agent as well if I have no interest in either multi-device monitoring or, since I am out of warranty, automatic ordering. Could you explain the function of Support  Assist Agent please.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jmm003
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I also experienced the hiccup/stuttering problem during video and audio playback beginning  a little over a week ago. Uninstalling the above listed programs has indeed cured THAT problem.

But to test whether I had fixed the hiccup/stuttering problem, I opened YouTube and streamed a couple of music videos. To my surprise the audio hiccups were gone, but now 1080p video is choppy/laggy.

It should be noted that about the same time the hiccup/stuttering problem popped up, I also noticed a significant increase in fan noise. Even after fixing the hiccup/stuttering problem, the fan seems to be running more often now than ever before...sometimes even after a fresh boot with minimal programs/processes running. 

According to Task Manager, I'm using between 15-20% processor on "Windows Modules Installer Worker"

What is this Installer? And is it at all related to the software I needed to uninstall to fix the hiccup/stuttering problem?

0 Kudos
William Caudle
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Apparently when the Support Assist and Support Assist Agent were installed, the Dell Software & Utilities program which ran diagnostics for support assistance was removed. Or perhaps that happened when I uninstalled the above two modules. Is there any way to get the Dell Software & Utilities programs back as they were when I bought the PC? I found those utilities useful on occasion. Thank you.

0 Kudos