Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 12th, 2015 10:00

Buzzing/stuttering during audio playback on xps 13 9333

Hi,

Recently I've been having some problems playing back any sort of media.  At regular intervals the audio will freeze/skip for a second and make a loud buzzing noise, then resume.  This happens with both music and streaming videos. If I'm watching a video, the screen will freeze for a second, buzz, then resume.

I'm using an xps 13 9333 with Windows 8.1 64-bit.

I've tried everything I could think of, updating all my drivers, reinstalling codecs, running anti-virus, and cleaning out my system.

Any suggestions?

February 12th, 2015 11:00

I have found a solution 2 days ago Dell installed an update for dell support assist and dell support agent When i removed these programs from the Control panel the problem went away. 

I have windows 7 64 bit (dell XPS L720X).

Some background i originally had this problem two years ago and it was related to McAfee anti virus. My guess is its do to a periodic scan or something like that.  

the only thing i uninstalled was dell support assist and dell support agent had to uninstall them both. 

February 17th, 2015 13:00

Uninstalling the Dell Support programs as you did should have automatically removed two system devices, Dell Diag Control Device (which is the culprit) and Dell System Analyzer Control Device. Go to the Device Manager (from the Control Panel) and look for these under System devices. If they are sill there, disable them; if not, then I don't know what to suggest, though

If you are familiar and comfortable with DPC latency detect and performance analysis software (I'm not), you should be able to isolate the problem (it's really easy to at least find dpclat.exe for free and run it to see if you are getting DPC spikes, which are the problem). I'm new to this Dell Forum, and I can't see that it's possible to put links into these postings (if it is, someone please tell me!). But search for the thread "Audio Stutters and Buzzing Caused by DPC Latency" on the SevenForums.com site; there you will get a good technical explanation of the problem (I'm assuming the underlying problem is the same in all cases) and some further good links to check out.

4 Posts

February 17th, 2015 14:00

Randy, thank you SO much. Going into device manager and disabling those two devices worked !

Steve

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

February 18th, 2015 09:00

I apologize for the inconvenience. Dell is aware of the problem and has a hotfix if you would like to continue to use Support Assist. You can find more on what Support Assist here on its community page.

Go here
* Under the "End User" tab, click "SupportAssist for PCs and tablets"
* Download/save the file "aulauncher.exe" to your windows desktop
* Run the file
* Reboot when done
* Download/save the hotfix from this share
* Double-click the exe file. You should get a message saying “Successfully applied the hotfix, please reboot your system for the changes to take effect”

Please let me know if you have any questions.

TB

6 Posts

March 2nd, 2015 14:00

I've been trying to remedy this for weeks as some people said uninstalling this did not fix the audio/video problem.

What I did not realize was that delldatavault.exe runs as a service in the background. I discovered this while viewing my resource monitor and watching that particular service cause severe spikes in the CPU and disk activity which were the exact moments the interference in the audio/video would occur.

Completely disabling the service altogether, has finally relieved my migraine...

7 Posts

March 2nd, 2015 15:00

Thanks to ALL... I think the buzzing is finally gone... pretty much the answer is to uninstall or deactivate anything that has to do with Dell monitoring your computer... the final fix of disabling Dell Data Safe seems to have done the trick.  I listened to a 5-1/2 minute song on YouTube without one buzzing interruption. 

1 Message

March 11th, 2015 09:00

Randy, Thanks I have also been listening to that annoying interruption buzz for a few weeks.  I found this thread and you made it easy to fix.  Luke

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 13th, 2015 19:00

There is no "end user" tab

Are you referring to Dell_Terry B's instructions?

Go here http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/555/services/support-assist
* Under the "End User" tab, click "SupportAssist for PCs and tablets" [see screen shot below]
* Download/save the file "aulauncher.exe" to your windows desktop
* Run the file
* Reboot when done
* Download/save the hotfix from this share:
   pages.suddenlink.net/downloaddell/SupportAssist-Hotfix-20150214.exe
* Double-click the exe file. You should get a message saying “Successfully applied the hotfix, please reboot your system for the changes to take effect” -- Dell_Terry B

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 24th, 2015 06:00

But it's not the Dell SupportAssist, because that's gone.    Any more ideas ?

There are several other ideas in this thread in addition to removing Dell SupportAssist. I have summarized them in the Choppy/Skipping Audio FAQ.

Note that this thread and the solutions in it are about the noise issue that began right around Feb 11/12.

6 Posts

February 12th, 2015 10:00

I'm having the same trouble with my XPS 15.
It's annoying!

6 Posts

Have you also uninstalled some update from windows?

I was thinking that this could be related.

The only things different that i have installed in this period were the updates.

Anyway i'll try to uninstall Dell assistent.

6 Posts

February 12th, 2015 12:00

worked!!!

4 Posts

February 12th, 2015 20:00

Same here.  I particularly experienced this when streaming movies and playing discs in my Bluray/DVD drive.  And, as others have reported, I resolved it by removing the Dell Support Assist and corresponding Agent software.  But, this is a FAR MORE TROUBLING SITUATION.  Specifically, this software is SPYWARE published by Dell and pushed, without explicit permission, to Dell laptops and workstations, and if one checks the settings on this software, one will see the fine print next to an automatically (already) selected option.  That fine print states that Dell has your permission, which Dell is implicitly giving themselves, to monitor essentially ALL communication and activity on your Dell computer!  I initially tried to de-select the option, but the software automatically re-selected it.  Also, I did not recognize this software on my system.  It was only a few days later (yesterday and today) that I realized I was suddenly having these buzzing interruptions in my audio stream, with interrupted video at the same time, while playing / streaming movies, that I suspected the Dell software.  So, tonight, I checked my installed programs and guess what I saw (it's worse than just the two programs mentioned thus far): Dell not only installed their new support assist and corresponding agent software, BUT DELL ALSO INSTALLED A CITRIX CLIENT, which means that Dell effectively gave themselves the ability to HACK my computer through remote control!!!  This whole thing is BEYOND THE PALE and UTTERLY OUTRAGEOUS.  This is not the sort of behavior I would expect from ANY reputable company on planet Earth.  Dell needs to have its collective feet held to the public's fire over this!  Needless to say, I also uninstalled the Citrix client.  I would recommend to everyone who reads this that they remove the Citrix client as well as the two new Dell applications from their systems, AND, IF DELL REINSTALLS THEM SURREPTITIOUSLY, that you then REMOVE ALL DELL SOFTWARE from your Dell systems.  This is by far the most egregious thing I've seen in a long time form Dell or any other company whose stuff I use.  SHAME ON DELL!

1 Message

February 12th, 2015 22:00

Thank you, very much indeed.

I was having the same stuttering and lag with no CPU or RAM spikes, and I just spent 5 hours going insane trying to figure out if it was a driver issue or some incompatibility issue with a new SSD I just installed in my XPS13 L322X.

After uninstalling both of the Dell Support Assist programs, it's back to working perfectly again.

What an absolute farce that Dell would just install them, and break your machine in the process.

Thanks again for that, good advice to anyone reading with the same issue!

No Events found!