Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2013 19:00

CMOS Checksum Bad

Hi,

I am using a Inspiron N4010 Laptop. The laptop is oow. Since 2-3 weeks, when i turn on the laptop, i get the following error :

ERROR

0271 : Check date and time settings

WARNING

0251 : System CMOS Checksum bad - Default configuration used

Press to resume.

Is this a problem with the CMOS Battery ? Will replacing the CMOS Battery solve the problem ? How much it will cost to replace the CMOS Battery with the help of a Dell Service Technician for a out of warranty product ? 

Thanks

Arun

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 27th, 2013 19:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community

First point of failure will be the CMOS (Coin Cell Battery) Please take a look on this link to check manuals and see how to replace it.

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-14r

If no go, check this link for Service Centers http://dell.to/z5ccMr  

Let me know if further help is needed.

8 Posts

April 28th, 2013 03:00

Hi Elijah, Thanks for your response.

I performed a complete diagnostic test using the Dell PC Diagnostics Tool and it passed all the tests.

The CMOS Tests were passed. Is there some other problem with the laptop ?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 28th, 2013 21:00

I see. Can you check on BIOS, (F2 during boot) check time and setting if they are correct. If not, try to check it. If no go, you also try to reset BIOS to defaults.

Last troubleshooting is to remove CMOS from motherboard. (remove ac and batt too) let it stay like that for 10 mins then reconnect.

8 Posts

April 29th, 2013 19:00

Hi Elijah,

I checked in BIOS, The date and time are incorrect. But when i load to the desktop screen, both date and time shows correct. Now i started seeing some new problem. When i turn on the computer at first go, it  shows the windows loading page and shuts down. I need to start the computer again for it to load to desktop and it gives a message like Windows was shutdown unexpectedly. (I'll share the logs next time it happens)

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 30th, 2013 23:00

Possible that you'll get some crashes or error messages if clock is not match.

2 Posts

January 16th, 2017 05:00

im also getting same problem with my system so what should i do please suggest me...?

No Events found!