Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 14th, 2012 19:00

CPU upgrade for Inspiron 17r N7110

Is it possible to upgrade the i5-2450M chip to an i7 and If so what i7 chip can I utilise?

1 Message

June 19th, 2014 03:00

Hi there,

just to let you know i've upgraded an n7110 inspiron to the i7 cpu. it had the i3 2330m cpu in but will change over same as the i5. The cpus supported are i3 2330, i3 2350m, i5 2450m, i7 2630qm and i7 2670qm.(there may be others).As Sue McCartin mentioned check out youtube and google. Replacing the cpu was quite easy as have replaced many cpus so a local pc shop could do it no problem if your not happy doing it yourself. 

I've just noticed post is old but hopefully this will help someone else if you have already done yours. 

3.8K Posts

March 14th, 2012 20:00

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the Community. Dell does offer upgrades on Processors and Motherboards. So you will not be able to upgrade your processor on any Dell System. ( We have seen cases were customers have upgraded, but Dell does not support it ). See the below link on Dell's policy on Processor upgrades.

support.dell.com/.../document

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Royan

88 Posts

August 11th, 2012 06:00

You can find a video on youtube on how to get to the processor on the N7110 you have to take everything out of the case right to the back of the case.  I would not do anything until your machine is out of warranty, then you have to be sure the BIOS on the motherboard will support that cpu or all your painstaking work will be wasted.  FYI if your cmos battery dies you have to completely take it all apart as well since it is apparently located in a holder on the bottom of the motherboard.  I would not recommend that a inexperienced person try this procedure, there are dozens of tiny screws and gentle disassembly. Then when you are finally down to the end with the motherboard all out there is a heat pipe that has to be carefully removed before you can finally get to the cpu socket.  So why it doesn't appear impossible to upgrade the cpu, if you aren't good with this sort of thing you could end up destroying your machine and there doesn't look to be an easy way to bench test before you reassemble your laptop.  The only easy upgrades appear to be the hard drive and lan card..if the keyboard dies the replacement procedure for that is pretty simple too.   If the bluetooth card is socketed, the video I found on youtube doesn't show where it is.  

I'm sure some industrious upgrader out there has information on what cpus the various bios will support, you can try to google N7110, cpu to see what you can find.  I want to ugprade mine too at some point, and while it looks daunting I'm not too afraid of the process but I'm not doing it right away either.  If you've never tried to fix things like your psp or other laptops it's probably way too much for you.

June 14th, 2016 20:00

Royan,

Well now we know why the Wintell group is falling apart.  All PCs and laptops should be upgradable.  You folks should be like old 1950 cars, fully upgradable.

Goes to support my view we only buy Apple new....     

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 15th, 2016 04:00

Hopefully that post was in jest, given that Apple has the least upgradeable hardware on the market.

Not only are the CPU and GPU permanently soldered in (as PCs are in  most cases now), but Apple now usually solders in not only the memory but the solid state drive as well - meaning they're not upgradeable at all.  Even the battery is glued in and fastened with proprietary screws in most Macbook systems!

No Events found!