Highlighted
Assistwat
1 Copper

CPU upgrade

Jump to solution

I have in Inspiron 1720 with an Intel T5250-1.5ghz, I read that it can be fitted with an Intel 7700. I contacted Dell via chat and was told that it could not be done. Then I was told it was not recommend after I had told them I had read that a T7700 would fit in my laptop. Then the tech still insisted that it was a bad idea and to just buy a new laptop.  When insisted I was told I would have to upgrade the mother board, plus other hardware, I would need more memory(which I understand) I would have too replace heat pad, replace heat sink. Just how much of that is true?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Bay Wolf
5 Rhenium

Re: CPU upgrade

Jump to solution

Your system can use the following.

Processor type                   Intel® Core™ 2 Duo
L1 cache                            32 KB per instruction, 32 KB data cache per core
L2 cache                            2 MB or 4 MB per core depending on model
External bus frequency      667 MHz and 800 MHz

The T7700 is a Core 2 Duo processor and runs at 2.4 GHz. 
It shares 4MB of L2 cache between the cores.
The FSB runs at 800 MHz.

You would use the same heat sink.

Forum Member since 2000

Please share your experience with the forum.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Bay Wolf
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

Your system can use the following.

Processor type                   Intel® Core™ 2 Duo
L1 cache                            32 KB per instruction, 32 KB data cache per core
L2 cache                            2 MB or 4 MB per core depending on model
External bus frequency      667 MHz and 800 MHz

The T7700 is a Core 2 Duo processor and runs at 2.4 GHz. 
It shares 4MB of L2 cache between the cores.
The FSB runs at 800 MHz.

You would use the same heat sink.

Forum Member since 2000

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Assistwat
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Well thank you Bay Wolf, one more question the tech support mentioned needing bigger power supply as well as hardware change. Is there any truth to that at all? And finally would it be a complicated task to replace a CPU

Highlighted
Bay Wolf
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

You will not need a larger power supply.  I am not sure where that one came from.
And you have a Core 2 Duo processor now.  You will not need any hardware change.

Instructions on how to change out the processor  

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>Make sure that you have some thermal paste to between the processor and the heat sink.

I prefer Arctic Silver but there are other brands.

Forum Member since 2000

Highlighted
Assistwat
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Well again thank you for you quick and very usefull answer but to answer your question, here is why I was asking this is my conversation with Dell Support

Session Started with Agent (Deepti_227490)

Agent (Deepti_227490): "Welcome to Dell's Technical Support Chat! My name is Deepti. How may I assist you today?"

alain richard: "Hello Deepti, I am trying to upgrade the CPU on my inspiron 1720 but I cannot find anything on the site as far as what is available for my laptop"

Agent (Deepti_227490): "I will be glad to assist you with that"

alain richard: "thank you"

Agent (Deepti_227490): "As per the records, you have an Inspiron 1720 with Windows Vista operating system on it. Am I correct?"

alain richard: "yes"

Agent (Deepti_227490): "Could you please provide me the Best Time to reach you? I would also request you to please provide me an alternate phone number on which you can be contacted in case the chat gets disconnected."

alain richard: "no actually running win7 64bit"

Agent (Deepti_227490): "okay"

Agent (Deepti_227490): "Alain, Are you trying to upgrade the processor?"

alain richard: "<ADMIN NOTE: Telephone Number removed per privacy policy>"

Agent (Deepti_227490): "Okay"

Agent (Deepti_227490): "In case you would need to speak to our sales department."

Agent (Deepti_227490): "Alain, we do not recommend the process upgrade."

alain richard: "why not"

Agent (Deepti_227490): "I would like to inform you that the warranty on the system would expire this year."

alain richard: "I know that"

alain richard: "I want to know why you are not recommending upgrade"

Agent (Deepti_227490): "Alain , we do not recommend that as along with the processor you would need to upgrade the motherboard and other hardware as well."

alain richard: "the puter is said to be able to accommodate the Intel T7700, should that not be simple to replace"

alain richard: "everything I have read so far about this puter upgrade says that it can be done fairly easy"

alain richard: "without changing motherboard or other hardware"

Agent (Deepti_227490): "Okay"

Agent (Deepti_227490): "Alain for that I would recommend to speak to our sales department."

alain richard: "How will the sales representative tell me what can and cannot be done. are you not the technical support?"

Agent (Deepti_227490): "Yes I am from the technical support, they would let you if this part is available or not."

alain richard: "ok but you just told me that you did not recommend replacing CPU because I would have to upgrade mother board and other hardware but you are not given me any explanation as to why but yet you are willing to let me call sales rep to buy parts"

alain richard: "I mean you did not even answer my original question which is which cpu are compatiblel with my puter"

Agent (Deepti_227490): "Please allow me 2 to 3 minutes while I give you the complete information."

alain richard: "thank you"

Agent (Deepti_227490): "Thank you for being on hold. I appreciate your patience. I am still looking through my resources and would request you to allow me another 2 minutes. Is that fine with you?"

Agent (Deepti_227490): "Thank you for staying online."

alain richard: "np"

Agent (Deepti_227490): "Alain, I was checking that for you, we do not recommend that as processor upgrade would need 4 gb ram that is on 2 gb on the system ."

Agent (Deepti_227490): "Apart from memory the heat sink and thermal pad which is not the same."

Agent (Deepti_227490): "it will cost you more in upgrading the system than purchasing a new system."

Agent (Deepti_227490): "The processor that you are talking about would require more power supply"

Agent (Deepti_227490): "Replacing the processor would not upgrade the system, you would need to replace other hardware parts and apart from that you will have to pay extra to technician to replace these parts for you"

Agent (Deepti_227490): "Not to rush you, are we still connected?"

alain richard: "well first of all I know how much a new system would cost me because I just checked on that which is why I am trying to see what my other options are. Ram are cheap to buy heat sink and thermal pad are not that expensive either. now as for the power suppl"

y needing to be bigger REALLY. Anyways the fact is that you have not answered my question but that is ok THANK YOU FOR NOTHING

Session Ended

Highlighted
Bay Wolf
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

Then lets compare the two processors.

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7700
(4M Cache, 2.40 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)

Instruction Set            64-bit
FSB Speed                 800 MHz
Package Size              35mm x 35mm
Processing Die Size    143 mm2
Sockets Supported      PBGA479, PPGA478
Max TDP                     35 W

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T5250
(2M Cache, 1.50 GHz, 667 MHz FSB)

Instruction Set            64-bit
FSB Speed                 667 MHz
Package Size             35mm x 35mm
Processing Die Size   143 mm2
Sockets Supported     PPGA478
Max TDP                    35 W

The above data was taken directly from Intel's web site.
http://ark.intel.com/products/family/26548

The socket on your motherboard has to be a PPGA478 because that is the only size socket that the T5250 can use.
The T7700 can use both the PBGA479 and PPGA478 sockets. 
Guess what - it will fit in your motherboard.

Both processors are cut on the same size die and they are physically the same size.

Edit:  Added the Max TDP to the above specifications.
Max TDP = Thermal Design Power

Both processors use the same Thermal Design Power.

The thermal design power (TDP), sometimes called thermal design point, represents the maximum amount of power the cooling system in a computer is required to dissipate.

Because both generate the same maximum amount of heat, the cooling system in the notebook does not have to be larger.

Forum Member since 2000