Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 12th, 2015 17:00

Camera inspiron 15r SE doesnt work

Hello

Since some months my notebook camera doesnt work anymore. When I open it, it alternates between the indications "camera has not been detected" and "another device is using the camera", or something like this.

In the control panel>managing devices, the "image devices" isnt shown (is not there - doesnt exists). Also, I have run the automatic search for new drives in the website (with that software of devices management) and it doesnt indicate any lack of drivers.

I would profoundly thank any help.

Lucas

1.8K Posts

October 15th, 2015 15:00

Hi,

You don't mention which version of Windows you're running but I'm assuming you looked in Device Manager to check on that driver for the webcam?

Here is a support article on Dell webcams.   It's broken up according to which operating system you're running, and I recommend checking it out.  You should, hopefully, find a way to resolve the problem with your webcam.

If you still need help please let us know what version of the Inspiron 15R you have, what version of Windows you are running on the laptop, and what driver you currently have on the system and we'll see what else we can suggest to try to fix things.

Todd

October 19th, 2015 02:00

Hi Todd S,

My Windows is 8.1, my laptop is Inspiron 7520 (Inspiron 15R Special Edition).

About the driver, I dont know exactly what to say, but I followed the steps for reinstalling the driver in the link you sent me (uninstall and reinitiate the system - so the driver reinstalls automatically if Windows is 8 or 8.1, which is the case). One interesting detail that is now happening is that everytime I open the devices manager, 3 things can happen:

1) image device appears, with a arrow to the left, which, when clicked, shows Integrated Webcam

2) image device appears, without the arrow

3) image device doesnt appear.

The three possibilities happen arbitraly (within a single minute, if I close and open the devices manager many times, the three possibilities happen various times).

That is strange because when I open the camera, the same "inconstance" happens. It alternates fastly between showing "to begin, connect a câmera", "your câmera is being used by another applicative. Close this applicative and try again" or showing nothing (black sreen).

Thanks for the attention,

Lucas

1.8K Posts

October 19th, 2015 10:00

Hi Lucas,

Did you try running the diagnostics from the Dell Webcam Central utility?   (On the link I provided earlier it's the last suggestion for each operating system).

That diagnostic may discover the error or suggest a way to resolve whatever you're seeing.  I would recommend trying to run it both when you're seeing the webcam listed and unlisted in Device Manager.  

Try it, and let's see what it reports.

Todd

October 19th, 2015 17:00

Hello Todd,

I ran the Dell test, and the result is as follows:

[Type of hardware>Diagnostic name>Result]

Integrated Webcam
Capture To Screen Test
No Device

Integrated Webcam
Capture To File Test
No Device

Integrated Webcam
RGB Pixel Test
No Device

Integrated Webcam
RGB Line Driver Test
No Device

Integrated Webcam
RGB Channel Test
No Device

Integrated Webcam
RGB Line Amplifier Test
No Device

Integrated Webcam
RGB Color Depth Test
No Device

Integrated Webcam
Luminance Depth Test
No Device

Integrated Webcam
Edge Detection Test
No Device
Lucas

1.8K Posts

October 20th, 2015 12:00

Hi Lucas,

The way your webcam seems to be available, then available, etc., makes me think that maybe one of the cables to the camera has worked loose.   Here is a link to the online version of the user guide for the Inspiron 15r 7520.  You may want to check to see if you can test each of the connections to see if you can find one that is loose. 

This isn't an easy process, and if you have never worked on a laptop you may want to see if a service center or repair service can help you.  If you do check it out then I would highly advise reading the "Before you Begin" and safety sections before you get started.

I'm not sure what other options are available at this point, unfortunately.  You've tried replacing the driver, etc.  The camera, from what you say, isn't being detected.   You may want to consider doing a full reinstall of Windows to see if that helps resolve any conflict, and that may be an easier way to proceed.

Todd

No Events found!