Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 30th, 2013 14:00

Can I get some help here..?? (Posted this before, but got no response. Maybe this time?) startup loop help!!!

My laptop, which is a XPS 17 laptop, has been stuck in startup repair loop for about a day now. It really frustrates me because I really need to be able to use this laptop, and this is the second time this laptop has done this, and I am getting tired of it. I tried System restore, to 3 different dates, Fix MBR, safe mode, F8, system diagnostics, and at this pint, I don't know if there is much else I can do, but I REALLY do NOT want to restore the system to factory settings. Unfortunately, I do not know where my windows disk is either, so that isn't an option. The first time my laptop did this, the Fix MBR option worked, but it didn't this time. I really need to get my laptop fixed, and I don't have much tone to do it, so of anyone has ANY help or answers, I would really appreciate it! I should also add that this was probably my fault as well. Just before the laptop started the repair loop, I was on the Internet when the computer started to shut down by itself. The Internet closed, and everything that I had up was exited out. And then the computer said that it was "logging off" and then "shutting down", so I figured if would be quicker if I just pressed the on/off button, so I did...and then it immediately started to go into this startup repair loop. It makes me wonder if the laptop was going to be doing certain repairs, but I accidentally stopped it. But the thing is, the "windows is updating software, do not shutdown" screen never came up, so that us why I am not sure.

7 Posts

January 30th, 2013 16:00

try sfc /scannow in a command prompt run as administrator 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 30th, 2013 18:00

Get a new drive and install from scratch.  Then use an Apricorn SATA WIRE to recover your data.

Given the age of the system the drive is probably dying.

No Events found!