Highlighted
Rocketman16
1 Nickel

Can I replace a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series power board with a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series power board?

So Dell made a really terrible decision.  They have a transparent strip in the power button for an LED light to indicate if the power is on.  A power indicator is a given in any laptop, no matter how cheap it is.  However, Dell in all of it's genius decided to not include an LED bulb on laptops up to the Inspiron 7000 Series, despite leaving a transparent slot for it.  Seriously, what happened to this brand?!?  Do children make these laptops now?

I want to fix this, as my laptop is no longer returnable and a power indicator is absolutely necessary.  So the only thing I can think of is replacing it with one from the 7000 Series somehow (with some help probably).

This is a Dell Inspiron 5559.  I also have an Inspiron 5547.  Not sure which exact 7000 model I should get the part for...

Are they compatible?

Is there an easier way? Like how Fn+H turns on the hard drive indicator?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
9 Rhodium

RE: Can I replace a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series power board with a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series power board?

The systems use different case and mainboard designs -- and may even be made by different companies.  The answer in all likelihood is no.

I don't think Apple has produced a Macbook with a power indicator -- the PC vendors are playing follow Apple.

0 Kudos