Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 18th, 2017 19:00

Can I use a 240W charger for Alienware MX17 R3 or buy 180w?

My laptop came with a 165w charger, but it was recommended that I get a 180w to prevent it burning out as fast. Would it be safe to get a 240w?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 25th, 2017 12:00

That's simply not accurate, Robert.  I've worked in several jobs that involved large-scale deployments of the type I described above, and Dell happily replaced motherboards and/or charging units with full knowledge that we had connected AC adapters with higher wattage ratings than the system shipped with.  Had they been non-DELL adapters, that would have been another story, but as long as it's a genuine Dell adapter of AT LEAST the wattage required by the system, then Dell Support doesn't bat an eye.

For yet another example, look at the WD15 and TB16 docks.  Both are available with 2 choices of AC adapter, and that determines how much power is available to be passed down to the system.  Certain systems require the higher-wattage option to use them with those docks, but there's absolutely no restriction against connecting a system with lower power requirements to a dock that's driven by the higher-wattage adapter.

9.4K Posts

September 20th, 2017 05:00

Hi Bhiupup,

Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately, using an adapter with a power rating other than the one supplied by Dell, is not supported, and would probably void the warranty should a problem occur.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 20th, 2017 08:00

@DELL-Robert P, I don't think your answer is correct.  It is perfectly fine and even supported to use Dell systems with HIGHER rated AC adapters than they shipped with.  For example, it's common for docking stations to require higher wattage AC adapters than would be needed if the system were directly connected to power, and those docking stations also frequently have an AC adapter large enough to support the most power-hungry system that will be connected to it, but it's perfectly fine to dock systems with lower power requirements.  Some systems will actually charge faster when connected to a higher-wattage power adapter than they ship with, but if not, then they'll simply ignore the extra capacity and operate normally.  This is a very common deployment setup for companies that use "hotel desk" office layouts and need to make sure a desk can support a mix of power-hungry and "regular" systems. Some of Dell's own offices are set up in exactly this way, in fact.  The hotel desks need to be usable by people who have higher-end Precision models that might require 180W or even 240W adapters, but most employees have regular Latitude systems that require 45-60W -- so Dell simply connects a 180/240W adapter to the docks at all of the desks, and everyone who uses that desk is happy, regardless of the system model they use. I've had a 130W adapter in my living room for years because I have some systems that require 130W, but it works just fine with my systems that only require 45W.

@Bihupup, what do you mean "prevent it burning out as fast"?  Are you referring to the AC adapter burning out?  If so, higher wattage AC adapters wouldn't necessarily last longer.

9.4K Posts

September 25th, 2017 11:00

Regardless if the system works with a power supply different than what was furnished with the computer, Dell WILL NOT be responsible for any damages resulting from using an adapter other than what was supplied with the unit.

No Events found!