Highlighted
wjkomo
1 Nickel

Can fingerprint sensor on Inspiron 5570, on Windows 10, be used for something other than Windows sign on?

Having the fingerprint Windows sign on is nice, but so far I see no other references to using this sensor to validate sign-on into websites, etc.    Is the fingerprint sensor here only good for one function, Windows sign-on?   If not, how do I set up the sensor to be used with other apps and web browsers?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

RE: Can fingerprint sensor on Inspiron 5570, on Windows 10, be used for something other than Windows sign on?

WJKOMO,

Unfortunately, it cannot be used for anything else  It is only for Windows sign on.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

RE: Can fingerprint sensor on Inspiron 5570, on Windows 10, be used for something other than Windows sign on?

@DELL-Jesse-L's answer isn't correct.  The fingerprint reader is just another device on your system with a driver, and there is a formal biometric authentication framework built into Windows that can be used by other applications for other purposes.  However, I don't know if Windows will share its fingerprint INFO with other applications, so you MIGHT have to enroll and manage fingerprints separately for different applications.  But theoretically yes, a Web browser could implement something like fingerprint-based unlocking of your saved password vault, possibly with a separate enrollment process from Windows, and other applications could do the same.  That said, I don't know of any major applications that have ACTUALLY bothered to do this outside of a few enterprise high-security applications.  Then again, I haven't really been looking for any such applications/capabilities either, so they may well be out there.

0 Kudos