Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 28th, 2011 18:00

Can't boot from password reset disk I burned - Dell Inspiron 6400 - Windows XP

Hi,

On another computer, I burned a bootable password recovery CD for my Dell Inspiron 6400 hoping I could reset the Administrator Password which I've forgotten . I downloaded a file named CD100627.zip from http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ that should be able to make a bootable CD that can be used to unlock the Administrative Password.  I unzipped the files and burned a bootable CD image using a program called ImgBurn.  I believe I did this correctly, but it's the first time I ever did this so I can't be sure.

When I put the bootable CD in the tray and start the Dell Inspiron 6400 and the DELL screen appears, no matter what key I tap- F2, F8, F10, ESC, etc., and the progress bar moves from left to right, the only screen that appears is the one saying "This computer system, #------------, is protected by a password authentication system.... Please type in the system or administrator password and press .

Can anyone advise me and tell me what I'm doing wrong?  I've done some looking online, and I haven't been able to find a solution.  I'd like to reset the Administrator Password without opening the computer to look for a particular battery that can be removed and reinserted to solve the problem of resetting the password.

Thanks,

DawnaC

7 Posts

April 28th, 2011 19:00

Try  Ebay  it worked  for me, dont pay over $10 though i got mine for  $7.60  and removing  the cmoss battery does not work i tried it on mine or if your the original purchased it from dell  call  them for your master password.They are going to ask for name, address,phone #,zip code even maybe more.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 29th, 2011 05:00

DawanaC,

If this is the BIOS Password, then yu have to contact Dell to have the password reset.

Rick

3 Posts

April 29th, 2011 20:00

Hi,

Thanks for replying.  Since I posted my question, I did some reading and decided to try the method of resetting the Administrator Password by removing the CMOS battery for about 20 minutes and then reinserting it.  I found the CMOS battery (underneath the keyboard) and removed it for 20 minutes, but after I put the CMOS battery back in turned on the computer, I got the message: Invalid configuration information - please run SETUP program whether I pressed F2, F11, etc.  So this is a new problem.  I'm getting ready to take the laptop to be dealt with by someone at a repair shop if I can't resolve this latest problem myself.

DawnaC

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

April 29th, 2011 21:00

after I put the CMOS battery back in turned on the computer, I got the message: Invalid configuration information - please run SETUP program whether I pressed F2, F11, etc.

This is to be expected after removal of the CMOS battery. If there is no BIOS password, just hit F2 and set up the time and date. That should be all you need to do. If there is a BIOS password, then you need to contact Dell as Rick posted above.

If you are referring to Windows XP's administrator password, read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305

3 Posts

April 29th, 2011 21:00

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your reply and your suggestion.  It might be a good idea to ask for help from Dell because the problem just got more complicated, as I described in my reply to late6400. 

DawnaC

7 Posts

April 29th, 2011 22:00

Thats your best  chance in getting it back up and running with out doing more damage to it .The cmoss battery removal might work but its not as easy like the manual or other forums suggest that it is.im pretty sure that setting up the clock in the bios refers to the time and day it was built and not the day that you might be setting it up again. its a good idea to call dell and just have them fix it for you. thats  why i went to ebay  and purchased a master password .i did contact dell they could help me 1(i wasnt the original purchaser from them)  2 (i could verify the originals owners information) that left me with a used  laptop that  had a locked hdd,once i got that unlocked i found out my bios was locked also i did the same thing to remove  that password  now it works fine .i just had to reinstall  the OS since the master password  for the hdd deleted all the contents of my laptop.go with DELL and let them help you avoid more problems.

No Events found!