vaiden
1 Nickel

Can't find "Dell Intelligent Display" on M2800

Hi guys.

I really really need to disable the "Dell Intelligent Display" feature on my M2800. The constant brightness chnanges hurt my eyes.

This option is not on any of the power management screens.

My bios is not set to secure boot.

I have not found a suitable QuickSet app.

I have Windows 8.1 64bit installed.

Please help me.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

RE: Can't find "Dell Intelligent Display" on M2800

Hi Vaiden,

Thanks for posting.

Dell Intelligent Display is a software utility designed to conserve battery power by dimming the LCD and works with Dell Extended Battery Life on top of the savings for Optimus.  If you do not have the nVideo Optimus technology, <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell> then it won't be on your system.

If you do have it, the Dell Intelligent Display program will be found in the battery meter.

Regards,
Robert

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
vaiden
1 Nickel

Hi Robert.

1. I do have Dell Intelligent Display turned on - even though the m2800 has the AMD chipset.

2. This was turned on by one of the many installations Dell requires you to do while installing a new version of Windows. I only got the bare minimum for my compuer, but even though I did get stung by this satan of a feature.

3. There is Battery Meter screen that looks like what you've pasted. I have the "Dell Command | Power Manager" app instead.  This does not allow me to disable DID.

4. I know you guys consider Google a competitor, but I do suggest browsing their site from time to time. You'd find out that this "Intelligent" display feature is frustrating A LOT of your customers.

5. Your tech support, even the "Pro", seems to be a bad joke. Again - Google showed me that it's not personal. 

6. I'm on a 13hrz a day work sprint right now, and your "Intelligent" display makes me wish I had gone with Lenovo, where there are less pretty colors on the mngmt apps, but more "disasble" buttons.

7. Please do help me here.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Viaden,

Did you try to update the BIOS?  Some customers have reported success with the newer version of the BIOS. 

Regards,
Robert

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message

0 Kudos
vaiden
1 Nickel

Yes I have.

0 Kudos
vaiden
1 Nickel

Is there a way to escalate this issue?

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Vaiden,

Were you able to find any good solutions on Google?  If so, please share them here on the Forum!

Try this:

Go into Video in the BIOS > LCD brightness and adjust LCD brightness

Then while still in the BIOS find system configuration, click on “unobtrusive mode” and check “enable unobtrusive mode”, then save changes and exit. 

Once back into Windows, press FN and B together.

Regards,
Robert

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
vaiden
1 Nickel

Yes. Tried that.

Enabled Unobstructive mode, pressed FN + B.

Problem persists.

Thanks,

Vaiden

0 Kudos
vaiden
1 Nickel

Also, looked at the docs. Unobtrusive mode:

Unobtrusive Mode When enabled, pressing <Fn> + <B> turns off all light and sound emissions in the system. Press<Fn> + <B> to resume normal operation.
  • Enable Unobtrusive Mode
By default it is disabled.

How is this even remotely relevant to our discussion?

0 Kudos
vaiden
1 Nickel

After wasting some more time with the Dell support hoitline, they've decided to send a technician to me.

So we've wasted some more time enabling and disabling "adaptive brightness" and pretending this has nothing to do with Dell. Then we've wasted some time on trying to convince me that it's my fault for upgrading the OEM Win7 the laptop came with to Win8.1.

Then we've wasted sometime on phone with the tech support, again. 

And still - no one in Dell can turn off Dell's own "feature".