Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 31st, 2014 07:00

Cannot Install Win 7

This laptop is a Dell Inspirion 1720 trying to install win7. The hard drive went out and I am trying to install win7 on a new drive but the computer stops when the cd is trying to load the installation files. It stops on the first screen. It had win7 in it when the hard drive went bad.

The machine would not boot from a flash drive. I tested the flash drive on a different machine and it is working fine. Machine stops on the first screen which is the 4 icons going around. It will not go any farther.

The disc is ok. I checked it on another machine before I posted this problem. Is it possible something could be stopping the machine from writing to the hard drive? BTW it is a new 1T drive. I have reset the ram, reset the cmos to defaults. This laptop has two hard drive compartments, makes no difference which side the hard drive is in.

The sticker on the machine has vista wrote on it. It is a dual core processor. As far as the hard drive goes I put 2 or 3 different ones in it thinking that maybe they were bad. That's when I got a new drive out. The hard drive is in the right drive bay. I really appreciate your help. thanks Winston May

2 Posts

July 31st, 2014 08:00

Right off the top of my head it sounds like the hard drive is not compatible. There are different limitations out there and I would ensure you are using a hard drive that virtually matches the old hard drive that was working.

With the new hard drive in trying turning on the computer and boot into the BIOS (I believe you will want to hit F8 or F12 immediately after turning on the computer to boot to the BIOS). Once in the BIOS see if it recognizes your new hard drive.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 31st, 2014 10:00

Are you stuck on this screen? With the Windows logo.

starting windows - windows 7

Are you installing Windows 7 64 Bit?

Can you pass this screen without any hard drive installed? You should be able to get to this screen without a hard drive installed.

Does your installation media contain Service Pack 1?

How much RAM do you have installed? If you have 4 GB or more installed reduce it to 2 GB and run the installation. Do you get the same results with Windows 7 32 Bit? What BIOS revision do you have? Do you get the same results from the Vista Reinstallation DVD?

Please run full F12 system diagnostics from a CD or USB. I suspect there is something else wrong with the system:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/f12-preboot-diagnostics/#older-systems

August 2nd, 2014 07:00

The BIOS recognizes the new hard drive.

August 2nd, 2014 07:00

The first screen you show is where my computer stops. The computer will not go to the second screen you showed.   I even tried to reinstall Vista, stops at the same place.   I even went so far as trying to install winxp, got the same results.  Before trying to install I took your advice and ran the diagnostics cd you mentioned.  It showed the memory was ok and found nothing wrong with the hardware.  The machine has 2 gig of RAM installed.   thanks for the help.   winston may

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 2nd, 2014 08:00

If you unplug the hard drive (so there is no hard drive) and begin the setup do you pass the first screen?

August 3rd, 2014 08:00

When I take the hard drive out it still stops in the same place.  thanks  Winston May

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 4th, 2014 05:00

It should pass that screen even if theres no drive detected.

Can you enter the BIOS setup and tell us what your settings are? If you can take a video it would help.

No Events found!