DancinHomer
1 Copper

Cannot install printer due to CPU speed not meeting minimum requirements after reinstall of Windows - see post for more detail >

I am a computer technician and had a Dell Inspiron 6000 in my shop to be formatted and Windows XP reinstalled, my customer could not find the original Dell OS CDs so I used our copy of Microsoft's WinXP OEM CD - that job was straight forward with no issues.

The problem I'm having is when I tried to install their Lexmark 6570 printer, I get a message saying your PC does not meet the minimum CPU speed required of 800MHz - The laptop's spec says it has a clock speed of 1.6GHz, double the requirements!! And the printer was working fine before formatting the laptop.

When going into WinXP System Properties it shows the following:

I assume that the 1.60GHz is the max. clock speed and 598MHz is the min. clock speed, but the Lexmark printer seems to pick up on the 598MHz as the actual clock speed even though it is connected to the mains power.

Any ideas would be much appreciated as I've given up searching Lexmark, Microsoft, Dell & support sites for a solution.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TheRealFireblad
5 Rhenium

Re: Cannot install printer due to CPU speed not meeting minimum requirements after reinstall of Windows - see post for more detail >

Welcome to the forums

It's a very bad sign, when a computer technician by trade, is having problems with a Dell system

Hopefully one of the official Dell rep's will read the thread, and respond with suggestions?

In the meantime... whilst I see you've installed SP3... have you also installed all available updates through Windows Update?

One of them might include a 'fix' for this problem, because it's strange that the printer worked fine before you reformatted/reinstalled XP?

Other than that... although you shouldn't have to of course... have you tried installing the printer after booting into Safe Mode - to see if it makes any difference?

If it doesn't, you may have to contact Lexmark (as well), to see what they have to say?

BTW:  This is actually the very first time I've heard of a printer being CPU limited

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
Integrated 2MP Webcam
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

Highlighted
Rebel9
5 Tungsten

Re: Cannot install printer due to CPU speed not meeting minimum requirements after reinstall of Windows - see post for more detail >

If you go to the Lexmark Support site, select your area, select Lexmark X6570, and then enter "Installation Cannot Continue; the Computer Does Not Meet the Minimum Requirements" in "Search the KnowledgeBase", the first article addresses that issue. Sorry I cannot give you a direct link to that article, but the address indicated on the suuport site just brings you to the opening page of the support site. The article ID# is ENUS28842.

Mary G
6 Indium

What you are seeing is the Speed Step power setting which halves the cpu speed to save battery power. Info on Speed Step Here. Is it possible that you did not install the chipset drivers and notebook system software first before all other drivers? Both available at Dell Support Downloads.

DancinHomer
1 Copper

Thanks Guys - I managed to work around this issue by manually installing the printer, bypassing the installation program then manually configuring the printer port to make it connect wirelessly.

Cheers

mallan
1 Copper

Hi Dancin,

I have the very similar issue with my dell inspiron 6400 and Lexmark printer (Ditto same issue).

Any solution other than manual installaion.Please letme know the exact solution steps.

Very urgent

Thanks much

0 Kudos
DancinHomer
1 Copper

Sorry, I can't exactly remember what I did - to manually install plug the printer into the laptop using USB cable and when it asks for drivers, locate them on the CD, then in printer properties goto ports. Here I think I changed port to TCP/IP and used the IP address of the printer (not very easy to find printer IP address).

But like the previous poster wrote - make sure your power adapter is plugged in and charging battery BEFORE turning the laptop on as this will enable CPU speed step to use the actual CPU speed.

Hope something here helps you..

0 Kudos