Highlighted
GladiatorX2
1 Nickel

Cannot make bootable USB for DELL Inspiron 15R 5520

Hi,

I have DELL Inspiron 15R 5520 and for some reason i cannot update BIOS from Windows and i want to make a bootable USB Drive to update BIOS from outside Windows but i can't find the proper software to make my USB drive bootable for my specific laptop model.

I tried the following tutorial which was made by Dell:

www.dell.com/.../EN

Unfortunately, the software mentioned there ( DDDP ) doesn't support my laptop model.

Please tell me how to make a bootable USB for my laptop in order to update BIOS properly.

Thank You.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
8 Krypton

RE: Cannot make bootable USB for DELL Inspiron 15R 5520

There are many other ways to do the job, depending on what OS is installed on the system.  What happens when you try from Windows?

Also - if there's a password on the BIOS, you'll need to remove it before you can flash it (that applies both to booting from a hard drive or a flash drive).

0 Kudos
GladiatorX2
1 Nickel

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 installed and i tried to do the job from inside Windows with the BIOS file that i downloaded from DELL website but it failed and the system didn't restart when it was in the flashing process and from that time i get a continuous 1 beep sound per second whenever i try to power up the laptop from the power button. It always gives me 1 beep every second and doesn't boot into Windows. That's why i want to update BIOS from outside windows to repair the BIOS and get the system working again.

Sorry for the long answer but i want to solve the problem properly and thanks for everyone who can help with with this problem.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Your system isn't getting far enough to read an operating system.  There are times when a BIOS can be recovered with an extracted ROM BIOS image - but that's not the case here.  The single beep means a corrupted BIOS chip itself.

You've two options:

Find a shop that can unsolder and replace the BIOS chip with a newly flashed one,

or

Replace the mainboard.

The CPU on this system is removeable, meaning the boards run in the $150-200 range - probably close to what it'll cost you to have the BIOS chip replaced.

0 Kudos
GladiatorX2
1 Nickel

@ejn63

Update: After 3-4 tries to power the laptop ( with its continuous 1 beep ) i succesfully powered it up and it booted into Windows and i used the laptop for 1 hour surfing the internet and playing some songs. After that i clicked " Shut Down " and closed the laptop.

It seems that my laptop won't power up from the first try but it will beep and failes to boot for a number of times and after multiple tries it powers up and boots into Windows like it should.

What could be the cause of this ? is it still a BIOS chip problem ?

0 Kudos