Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 20th, 2016 00:00

Cannot make bootable USB for DELL Inspiron 15R 5520

Hi,

I have DELL Inspiron 15R 5520 and for some reason i cannot update BIOS from Windows and i want to make a bootable USB Drive to update BIOS from outside Windows but i can't find the proper software to make my USB drive bootable for my specific laptop model.

I tried the following tutorial which was made by Dell:

www.dell.com/.../EN

Unfortunately, the software mentioned there ( DDDP ) doesn't support my laptop model.

Please tell me how to make a bootable USB for my laptop in order to update BIOS properly.

Thank You.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 20th, 2016 04:00

There are many other ways to do the job, depending on what OS is installed on the system.  What happens when you try from Windows?

Also - if there's a password on the BIOS, you'll need to remove it before you can flash it (that applies both to booting from a hard drive or a flash drive).

27 Posts

August 20th, 2016 20:00

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 installed and i tried to do the job from inside Windows with the BIOS file that i downloaded from DELL website but it failed and the system didn't restart when it was in the flashing process and from that time i get a continuous 1 beep sound per second whenever i try to power up the laptop from the power button. It always gives me 1 beep every second and doesn't boot into Windows. That's why i want to update BIOS from outside windows to repair the BIOS and get the system working again.

Sorry for the long answer but i want to solve the problem properly and thanks for everyone who can help with with this problem.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 21st, 2016 04:00

Your system isn't getting far enough to read an operating system.  There are times when a BIOS can be recovered with an extracted ROM BIOS image - but that's not the case here.  The single beep means a corrupted BIOS chip itself.

You've two options:

Find a shop that can unsolder and replace the BIOS chip with a newly flashed one,

or

Replace the mainboard.

The CPU on this system is removeable, meaning the boards run in the $150-200 range - probably close to what it'll cost you to have the BIOS chip replaced.

27 Posts

August 21st, 2016 20:00

@ejn63

Update: After 3-4 tries to power the laptop ( with its continuous 1 beep ) i succesfully powered it up and it booted into Windows and i used the laptop for 1 hour surfing the internet and playing some songs. After that i clicked " Shut Down " and closed the laptop.

It seems that my laptop won't power up from the first try but it will beep and failes to boot for a number of times and after multiple tries it powers up and boots into Windows like it should.

What could be the cause of this ? is it still a BIOS chip problem ?

No Events found!