ABCandJRC
2 Bronze

Cap lock popup - Inspiron 1545 let me try this another way, please

Pleae help me with a frustrating problem.  Also see my post Caps lock popup and icon on Inspiron 1545 for details.

If you have an Inspiron 1545 running Vista (mine is Home Premium), or a similar Dell notebook with no LEDs for the functions I describe, please help.

My 1545 at times will do these things:

Pressing Caps lock produces a small popup showing a padlock either opened or closed and (I think) an "A" or an "a" (depending on the state) which appears then fades.  An icon also appears in the notification area  when in the locked state.

Pressing the "radio" button (F2) displays a similar popup with a radio tower in it.  When "off" it "X"s the connection icon in the notification area and clears the "X" when "on".

Pressing the battery button (F3) displays a battery status utility.

Right now, none of these function, and I want them to work, and desperately want to find out why they sometimes work, sometimes don't, and especially how to make them run when they don't.  I have been searching for a solution for weeks now, and my whole experience with the 1545 (my 5th Dell) is rapidly becoming soured.

[Poll]
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ABCandJRC
2 Bronze

Re: Cap lock popup - Inspiron 1545 let me try this another way, please

Dell has come through for me and I am happy again.  I got a phone call in response to a letter to corporate headquarters outlining the problem.

The solution to the problem indeed involved Dell Quickset.  For whatever reason, the keyboard-support portion of Quickset had become corrupted or disabled.  Even more mysterious is that it “healed” for three days then fell apart again.  I have to wonder if something was catching the keyboard interrupts and overriding the Quickset driver.

The eager-to-help lady who called had me download and install Quickset and everything works as it originally did.  The popup comes and goes and if the status is locked, the icon appears in the Notification Area.  The “radio button” also displays its popup and the “battery key” again brings up the Battery Meter window.  It sure keeps me aware of what I have done to the Caps Lock key.

The software is well behaved and does not cause a change of focus on any of the software I have run since.  I wonder if the users voicing concerns about that were using an earlier version of Quickset, or perhaps some software, maybe games, do switch focus.  For me, the behavior is exactly what I want.

(I had come close to solving the problem myself in that I had downloaded the latest version of Quickset, but on noticing it was the same version as I was currently running I did not do the installation.  As a matter of fact, when I saw that, I even uninstalled Quickset to see if that would help.  It didn’t.  Like they say, “Close only counts in ….”)

“How to” Steps…….

www.support@Dell.com

Search for R197947.exe

Download (I saved a copy to have it at hand in the event the problem recurred.), and then run the downloaded executable.  Mine gave several warnings during the execution because Quickset was already on the computer, but it proceeded to install and worked properly.

0 Kudos
swuki
1 Copper

How do I get the on-screen notification for cap loc & num loc back? It was working in the beginning, then stopped, I 'Googled' and followed steps and it was working. However it stopped again a few months ago and I really like that feature. Please provide information / steps to enable on-screen notifiction.

Respectfully,

swuki

0 Kudos

Hi,

You may try removing and reinstalling the "Quickset" utility to have this issue fixed. Please follow the instructions below to do the reinstallation.

Go to Start menu> Control panel> Programs and features> the programs windows opens from which locate "Quickset" and select uninstall by right clicking on it. Once done, download the "Quickset" software from the following link and install the same on the computer. Restart the system and check if this has fixed the issue.

http://dell.to/PAty1y

If this doesn’t fix the issue, let us know the model of the system that you are using. Please provide the model number, in case you are using a wireless keyboard.

I hope this helps

Please let us know in case of any queries.

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

Thanks and Regards,
Harish R
Dell Social Media and Community Professional
Order Status : http://dell.to/1fgKSTr
Download Drivers : http://dell.to/1hcxG98

0 Kudos