Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

7 Posts

June 28th, 2008 14:00

Card Reader not working on my new XPS 1530 laptop

Hi All,

Today I put a MMC card from my N70 mobile into the built in card reader but could not see the card reader in my computer.

Perhaps the laptop does not recognise it or may be the card reader hardware/software is missing .

Any help in this respect would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance .

48 Posts

When you put the card into the slot does windows making a beeping sound? It will do this when it recognizes new hardware.

7 Posts

Here is another interesting thing that I noticed just now.When I put the dummy(plastic) card into the reader the same sound is made by the laptop !!

7 Posts

Yes Sir,It does make a sound (not exactly a beep) rather a sort of drum.

Any way the question arises if sound is heard(which means it is recognised) then why can't I see it under "My Computer" whereas all other drives are visible ?

48 Posts

June 28th, 2008 15:00

It will show up under Disk drives as a SD Memory Card

48 Posts

Yeah mine does that too, its just the drive activating. It then scans to see if it can read the drive. Silly question but have you tried a different SD card? It could be as simple as the card just isn't compatable with the drive it self.

It could also be that thd drive is bad though. I would start with a different card and see if it works with that, if that doesn't work then I would call Dell and see about getting it repaired.

7 Posts

How to find whether Card Reader exists in the device manager or not ?

I mean what is written if it exists ?

7 Posts

Yes I tried 2 cards but both were MMC cards.

Anyway could you give the exact URL for XPS 1530 card reader driver ?

May be the card reader needs to be uninstalled and re installed again.

48 Posts

June 28th, 2008 17:00

Yeah it only shows it when a card is in place that it can read and use. So if you put the card in and it doesn't appear then you either have a card thats not compatible or you have a bad reader.

7 Posts

OK..May be a hardware problem.

Do you know whether card reader is an integral part of the motherboard or a seperate one .I mean in case replacement is required .Will the whole motherboard be needed to be replaced or just a part ?

7 Posts

Sorry but it's not showing

48 Posts

June 29th, 2008 16:00

Sorry I have no idea about that, you're next step would be to call Dell.

27 Posts

July 12th, 2009 17:00

This has happened to every Dell desktop I have every had (4) and on 2 of the laptops.  In all cases it was a hardware problem with the connection of the cable to the mptherboard going bad. 

No Events found!