Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 12th, 2017 18:00

Catch-22: No BIOS updated without battery, no battery life without BIOS update...

Hello,

A week or two ago, I started seeing a pop-up appear on my Inspiron screen (I run Windows 8). The pop-up said that the AC adapter was not recognized, and therefore, the battery would not charge. It was the same 65W adapter that came with the laptop. I hit F2 at startup to check the BIOS, and it said the adapter wasn't recognized. I decided to order a new adapter. While I waited for it to arrive, the battery gradually drained down, but the laptop continued to work while plugged in.

The new adapter came today, an official Dell adapter. I plugged it in... Same error message. Adapter not recognized.

I ran a check on the battery; the system says the battery is fine. I pulled the battery, and the laptop still worked via the adapter. I jiggled and checked all the connections. Couldn't find an issue and couldn't make it work.

I checked the BIOS version and date, and it's from 2013. Time for an update! I downloaded the latest version, but here's the problem: It won't install without the battery sitting at at least a 10% charge. The battery, of course, won't charge with either adapter (it's reading at 1% now). So I can't update the BIOS without some battery life, but I can't make it recognize the adapter and charge the battery without the updated BIOS (assuming that's even the problem, but I'm hopeful that's all it is).

If anyone has any suggestions for how I might make this work, I would very much appreciate it! Thank you!!!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 13th, 2017 17:00

BIOS updates fix firmware issues -- this is a hardware problem.

The jack is the next step:

www.parts-people.com/index.php

There's a zero chance a BIOS update will fix this - it's certainly not worth the cost of a battery to try, given that the jack is a fraction of the cost of a battery.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 13th, 2017 10:00

:emotion-2:

Please list Dell model number and version of windows. Ex: Dell Inspiron 3543, windows 10

If you don't know, type msinfo32 onto the search box, and then look for System model.....

In the meantime, please check the USB port, where the AC adapter is plugged into system, is loose. You could also wiggle the Adapter's end while checking it in the BIOS to see if the Adapter's type appears.  

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 13th, 2017 13:00

Updating the BIOS will not fix the problem.

Check setup (F2 at powerup).  If the AC adapter shows "unknown",

First, try a new Dell OEM AC adapter.  If that doesn't solve the problem,

Second, replace (or have a shop replace) the DC jack.

If neither of those produces a positive result, replace the mainboard.

This is not a BIOS issue - it's a hardware issue with the AC adapter, DC jack or mainboard.

4 Posts

July 13th, 2017 13:00

It's a Dell Inspiron 5535, running Windows 8.1.

The AC Adapter doesn't plug into a USB port. It plugs into a round adapter jack with a pin. Neither the jack nor the pin appear to be loose. I've tried wiggling all connections and watching for recognition but nothing happens.

I googled and found a replacement AC Adapter input jack, but I'm not sure I'd be able to replace that myself, and if that's not the problem, it wouldn't make a difference anyway.

Would ordering a new battery at least let me update my BIOS? Do new batteries ship with some charge to them? I'm just trying to get the battery charged to 10% so I can update the BIOS, as there's a good chance that's the problem (currently running BIOS last updated over 3 years ago). Thank you!

4 Posts

July 13th, 2017 14:00

Thank you. As I said in my original post, I did check setup and the adapter was not recognized. Then I did order a new AC adapter, and it did not make a difference.  

I guess replacing the jack is my next step. Can I ask why updating the BIOS won't matter? It's a really old version; is there no chance that that's the problem and that it'll recognize my adapter after that?

4 Posts

July 13th, 2017 17:00

Thank you!

No Events found!