Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 20th, 2015 05:00

Charging new Dell XPS 13 9350 via thunderbold usb-c

Recently purchased the new Dell XPS 13 9350, 1080p version with the i5 processor and I would like to know how to charge the xps 13 via the thunderbolt usb-c port.

What cable am I able to use? I would like to use a USB-A male to USB-C cable to charge the laptop using aeroplanes usb outlets.

8 Posts

January 22nd, 2016 18:00

Tracked down the answer:

It simply doesn't work with phone chargers. It needs higher-voltage laptop chargers. You can't use USB A-To-C cables to charge it (unless you have a seriously faulty cable, which will damage the charger). You can't use the Nexus 5X, 6P, or OnePlus chargers.

Chromebook Pixel 2 and XPS 12-9250 (and maybe some other upcoming 2016 Dell systems) include a USB-C charger that works with the XPS 13 and 15. The Chromebook Pixel charger is a wall wart, unlike most laptop chargers with a brick in the middle.

Buying a compatible USB-C charger costs about as much as buying a normal spare Dell laptop charger, so there's honestly not much point unless you want to use it on other USB-C devices (either now or in the future). The Pixel charger can also be used with phones, but I don't know if the XPS USB-C charger can too.

You'll also get USB-C charging with docks. Any USB-C dock and any Thunderbolt 3 dock should work with it. Dell has wo of them near the end of January that each offer multiple video outputs, USB-A ports, Ethernet, audio, and charging. Plugable and a few other manufacturers are making some too.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 20th, 2015 08:00

Is there Dell documentation that says this is doable?

4 Posts

December 20th, 2015 14:00

Hi Yes www.dell.com/.../pd , under ports,

Thunderbolt™ 3 (1) - supports:

Power in / charging

PowerShare

Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps bi-directional)

USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps)

Native DisplayPort 1.2 video

No cable USB A male to USB C or any thunderbolt cables were provided or are available for purchase. 

For example am I able to use the Belkin USB-A to USB-C Charge cable? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkK9lItCr4w

8 Posts

January 22nd, 2016 16:00

Was wondering the same thing myself.  I'm not willing to try it, but if you are yes, a USB-C to A cable should work.  Given the 45W charging power though I'm thinking charging with a standard 5V/1A charger (5W) is going to be VERY VERY slow.

8 Posts

January 22nd, 2016 18:00

Sorry to reply to my own post.  Here's a great thread about it: 

www.reddit.com/.../usb_typec_charging_xps_13_9350

2 Posts

March 21st, 2016 14:00

You can charge the dell xps 13 with the following chargers: The dell xps 12 charger, the innergie 45w usb c charger and the google pixel 2 60w charger. No usbc to usba charging is powerful enough to charge this laptop

No Events found!