Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 25th, 2017 13:00

Choppy video when playing Blu-Ray on Inspiron 14z (n411z)

I've updated a few things on my trusty Inspiron 14z (n411z) which I purchased new in 2012.  The latest upgrade was to add an internal Blu-Ray drive (Panasonic UJ-272) to replace the standard DVD RW drive, but when I tried playing a commercial Blu-ray movie, the video was quite choppy and pixelated.  The same drive works fine in my HP desktop, so I'm wondering if the Inspiron's onboard video (Intel HD 3000, 2 GB ram) is just not capable for playing a Blu-ray movie? Has anyone else had success or suggestions on how I can get this to work?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

March 1st, 2017 11:00

Hi,

As informed by ejn63. The issue is due to low powered video card. Also, whn you use the Bluray drive on the system it would try using all the hardware resources which would end up overheating up the system.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 25th, 2017 13:00

It's true that the GPU is underpowered -- it's equally true that blue-ray drives produce quite a bit of heat -- if the system is running warm or hot, it may be throttling and causing the problem.  

6 Posts

February 26th, 2017 03:00

This occurred as soon as the blu-ray drive as installed so I don't think overheating was the problem; I'm inclined to think the GPU just can't handle the blu-ray's video datastream in a 5 year old Inspiron. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has done this and did/did not have the same problem.

6 Posts

March 2nd, 2017 03:00

Thanks to both of you for confirming my suspicions on the video card.  I've put the oem DVD drive back in and transferred the blu-ray drive to my newer desktop where it works just fine. Now if only the 14z's BIOS would only address the full 16GB memory that the Intel I5 is capable of... But that's probably not going to be addressed on a 5 year old laptop.  Thanks again

No Events found!