Highlighted
wogmit
1 Copper

Chromebook 11 Case Screws

Our students use Chromebook 11s.  They were issued in July.  We have a few that have screws missing from the bottom(I'm guessing more of them have the same problem).  Is there an easy way to get these from Dell in bulk so we can replace the ones that are missing?

Thanks

0 Kudos
26 Replies
mdusterhoft
1 Copper

RE: Chromebook 11 Case Screws

It is becoming a well documented problem. Internal and external screws are falling out. When the internal screws fall out the batteries short out as the screws are floating around the inside of the case. If the screws on the hinge assembly fall out then the unit will break and be worthless. Dell sent a team to tighten the screws on all 1800 we have at our school just before Thanksgiving. By the the new year screws were coming out again. They have a defective product and need to issue a recall. 

0 Kudos

Some customers have reported loose or missing screws on Chromebook 11 devices.   If you are having an issue with this, please contact Dell support.   Depending on the number of units affected, they will either send screws or set up a service for you.   The replacement screws will have additional Nylok on them that should prevent any further recurrence of this issue.

Curlybob
1 Copper

The screws have the same amount of nylock as they usually do. This does not help.

0 Kudos

The screws have the same amount of nylock as they usually do. This does not help.

The service teams will have dual sided nylok screws available as of tomorrow (02/05/15).

cw_smithr
1 Copper

We bought approximately 800 of these devices and have had the same issue with screws falling out. We have about 12% of our devices go back because of motherboard or battery failure. The screens are coming apart too where the double sided tape is no longer holding.

Ours were bought this past summer, delivered in September.

Highly disappointed in the the product. The number we call in for support is frustrating at best. The usually ask us to take battery out and res-eat it. Always laugh as they are internal.

Agree that they need to issue a recall and make the situation right.

Our school will be exploring all avenues to ensure  Dell makes these right.

0 Kudos
markymarkymark
1 Copper

Ditto here... screws falling out. Anyone try some good ol' fashioned loctite?

0 Kudos
ssiwirski
1 Nickel

We have tried contacting Dell for screws. We would like a package of them so we could replace missing screws.

It seems to be an impossibility to get any. Our School district has purchased over 8,000 Chromebooks--it wouldn't seem that screws should be such a big issue.

0 Kudos
ssiwirski
1 Nickel

I did contact Dell. They wanted specific Service tag #'s for every screw. That's an impossibility unless I want to get screws sent to me 1 at a time.

We have 7800+ chromebooks at 16 school sites. I seriously doubt a Dell tech wants to come out and chase around finding them all that are missing screws.

It's Westminster School District in Westminster, CA. Please, please please get us some screws! A package would be lovely--several would be even lovelier. (I have no idea how many are in a package)

0 Kudos
wogmit
1 Copper

I have a VERY small  device count compared to some of you that replied, so I really feel for y'all.  I was finally able to get a small bag of screws that appear to be the correct size after they sent me two sets of three other sized screws.

Since my initial post I have had to send at least four Chromebooks back for repair or replacement because of loose screws internally that I believe shorted out the motherboard.  It's a definite problem.

0 Kudos