Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2015 14:00

Chromebook 11 Case Screws

Our students use Chromebook 11s.  They were issued in July.  We have a few that have screws missing from the bottom(I'm guessing more of them have the same problem).  Is there an easy way to get these from Dell in bulk so we can replace the ones that are missing?

Thanks

1 Message

January 20th, 2015 06:00

It is becoming a well documented problem. Internal and external screws are falling out. When the internal screws fall out the batteries short out as the screws are floating around the inside of the case. If the screws on the hinge assembly fall out then the unit will break and be worthless. Dell sent a team to tighten the screws on all 1800 we have at our school just before Thanksgiving. By the the new year screws were coming out again. They have a defective product and need to issue a recall. 

828 Posts

February 4th, 2015 06:00

Some customers have reported loose or missing screws on Chromebook 11 devices.   If you are having an issue with this, please contact Dell support.   Depending on the number of units affected, they will either send screws or set up a service for you.   The replacement screws will have additional Nylok on them that should prevent any further recurrence of this issue.

1 Message

February 4th, 2015 06:00

The screws have the same amount of nylock as they usually do. This does not help.

828 Posts

February 5th, 2015 13:00

The screws have the same amount of nylock as they usually do. This does not help.

The service teams will have dual sided nylok screws available as of tomorrow (02/05/15).

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2015 11:00

We bought approximately 800 of these devices and have had the same issue with screws falling out. We have about 12% of our devices go back because of motherboard or battery failure. The screens are coming apart too where the double sided tape is no longer holding.

Ours were bought this past summer, delivered in September.

Highly disappointed in the the product. The number we call in for support is frustrating at best. The usually ask us to take battery out and res-eat it. Always laugh as they are internal.

Agree that they need to issue a recall and make the situation right.

Our school will be exploring all avenues to ensure  Dell makes these right.

March 4th, 2015 09:00

Ditto here... screws falling out. Anyone try some good ol' fashioned loctite?

7 Posts

March 27th, 2015 16:00

We have tried contacting Dell for screws. We would like a package of them so we could replace missing screws.

It seems to be an impossibility to get any. Our School district has purchased over 8,000 Chromebooks--it wouldn't seem that screws should be such a big issue.

7 Posts

March 31st, 2015 15:00

I did contact Dell. They wanted specific Service tag #'s for every screw. That's an impossibility unless I want to get screws sent to me 1 at a time.

We have 7800+ chromebooks at 16 school sites. I seriously doubt a Dell tech wants to come out and chase around finding them all that are missing screws.

It's Westminster School District in Westminster, CA. Please, please please get us some screws! A package would be lovely--several would be even lovelier. (I have no idea how many are in a package)

2 Posts

April 8th, 2015 11:00

I have a VERY small  device count compared to some of you that replied, so I really feel for y'all.  I was finally able to get a small bag of screws that appear to be the correct size after they sent me two sets of three other sized screws.

Since my initial post I have had to send at least four Chromebooks back for repair or replacement because of loose screws internally that I believe shorted out the motherboard.  It's a definite problem.

April 8th, 2015 12:00

I finally decided to move screws from one to another and then submit a service request for one machine instead of several. The one I sent in only had two or three screws left in it LOL but this solved my problem.

I suggest you have students check for missing screws and come by if they are missing screws -- then just pull several screws out of another machine ands end that one in for service.

Bad solution -- but the only one i could come up with since Dell isn't taking care of us.

I won't be buying anymore Dell 11's. This and the broken glass that you can't find a replacement for... two big issues with this machine. 

3 Posts

April 9th, 2015 15:00

Same problem as everyone else.  I've been unable to get screws, as mentioned above, without requesting them for each device.  However, the read problem is the screw on the inside that falls out and shorts out the motherboard.  I've not had this issue all year, but over the last month or so, it's happening to one device after the other.  I'm also worried that we must get these all repaired before the end of the 1 year warranty because if anything happens after that it's going to fall on us even though it's a design flaw.  I'm trying to get someone to come out and make repairs on all of them.  Sending back every machine isn't economical for Dell or us.  The manpower to box and unbox them all, alone is a nightmare.  Has anyone out there worked on replacing the interior screws?  Despite all of this, I've still loved this device and think it's more rugged than many others on the market.  I also have the new model with the rubber edges. Assuming they've fixed the screw issue on this one, it should be a great device. 

7 Posts

April 13th, 2015 14:00

As a follow-up, we have finally received screws from Dell. About a thousand so far with the promise of more. We are so happy!

I guess the lesson is be persistent and keep asking--eventually it happens.

3 Posts

April 14th, 2015 10:00

Did you receive internal and external screws?  I'm concerned about cracking open every device to replace the internal screw that's coming loose and shorting out the motherboard.  

7 Posts

April 14th, 2015 11:00

We have not had that happen to us yet with the internal screws. (fingers crossed)

They are just sending me the external screws.

2 Posts

April 22nd, 2015 06:00

We have over 700 and continue to have issues. Dell just offered to replace the screws in them all. We also asked for a warranty extension feeling that we may see long term issues with the poor manufacturing process. They denied the warranty extension so we are looking at what legal avenues we can pursue.

No Events found!