Highlighted
Icebun007
Phosphor

Chromebook 11 - How do I change the factory default background wallpaper?

The second generation Chromebook's now seem to come with a yellow lizard background.

Whilst I can change the background via Chrome Management, this only works after the user has logged in.

Prior to this, the factory one will always appear before sign-in.

Has anyone found a way of changing this?

0 Kudos
13 Replies

RE: Chromebook 11 - How do I change the factory default background wallpaper?

Hey Icebun007,

Good question! Check out this post on chromestory.com. Dinsan Francis looks to have provided and answer:

Steps to Put Chrome OS Wallpaper on Login Screen

1. Open chrome://flags
  2. Enable the flag “Enable OOBE/sign in redesign
  3. Restart your Chromebook
0 Kudos
Icebun007
Phosphor

Hey Shawn,

Thanks for the response.

This post was dated 2012 and when I checked this option on the Chromebook, the flag is no longer present.

0 Kudos

Sorry to hear that Icebun007,

Could be a restriction in the newer OS i'm afraid. I'll see if i can get my hands on one of these systems to confirm.

Are you Logged in as the administrator on the system?

0 Kudos
Icebun007
Phosphor

H Shawn,

Yes.

Once logged in, it is possible to change the default wallpaper to something else.

By default, your chosen wallpaper will remain visible in the following circumstances:-

1/ When you are logged in against an account

2/ When the device is logged in by a user but the screen is locked

3/ On boot up. The revised chosen wallpaper will appear albeit with a “Enter Password” prompt in front

To improve the level of security In a Corporate environment, we turn off the following option so users will have to sign in with their email address and password:-

Show usernames and photos on the sign-in screen (Located in Settings--> Manage other users...)

When the device is then restarted, the following appears on the screen:-

1/ Chrome OS icon

2/ Factory set yellow lizard

3/ Full sign in screen (with lizard partially obscured)

0 Kudos

Thanks for the details!

I confirmed the same wallpaper restriction when changing those settings. This unfortunately seems to be a limitation of the profile.

Its possible you may be able to work around this though by using the Google admin console for Chrome. I would suggest contacting Google to see if this would be a viable option for you.

How to access support for Google Admin tools for Chromebook

http://www.dell.com/support/article/cd/en/cddhs1/HOW10639/en?c=cd&s=dhs&cs=cddhs1&l=en 

Additional Information.

Chrome device management allows administrators to manage their organization's Chrome devices from a single place. With Chrome device management, organizations can configure Chrome features for their users, set up Chrome device access to VPNs and WiFi networks, pre-install Chrome apps and extensions, and more.

Administrators can apply each setting to an organizational unit or the entire organization. Most settings provide the option of enforcing a particular configuration or letting the user choose. For example, administrators can specify a standard home page for their users or allow users to set their own home pages.

Chrome browser support. U.S. Toll Free: 1-877-355-5787

0 Kudos
Icebun007
Phosphor

Hi Shawn,

I have already opened a case with Google who have confirmed the issue is with the 3120 base image/profile that DELL created as factory. They has since forwarded a feature request.

To be honest, I am surprised no one else as raised this issue as the factory wallpaper is not really suitable in a Corporate environment.

By the way, Chrome management does not offer anything over and above and issue remains.

Glad you managed to re-create it in any case.

I have also opened a Dell support case and am waiting on 3rd line for a response.

ldraves
Copper

Any updates to this?  I have 50 of these at a small Christian school and would like to put our logo on the login screen.

0 Kudos
Icebun007
Phosphor

No change.

Gave up with Dell support.

It is possible to put a background logo once the login is complete via Chrome management.

0 Kudos
eysfilm
Copper

Did you every find a way to change this.

Our school division just received 400 of these units and were stuck with the lizard login picture Smiley Sad

Once they are logged we have the background image changing.

0 Kudos