Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 11-04-2017 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
Not applicable

Clean install on SSD Inspiron 1750

My hard drive died on my Inspiron 1750, it was running Windows 10 64bit before. I've installed a new SSD drive but it is not seen with SATA set to IDE or AHCI in the BIOS. I figured I'd need to Intel Storage Matrix driver so went to the Dell Support site for the 1750 but only saw Windows 7 drivers, did not work and I've even tried using Windows 7 with the "F6" drivers from Dell. On the hard drive selection page there's an option to load drivers, I point it to the drivers from Dell and it sees compatible drivers but it throws an error when trying to load them so I'm unable to get Windows 7 to see the drive and I'm not sure where to find equivalent drivers for Windows 10, the ones I got from Intel did not work. I am surprised that Windows 10 does not simply just see the drive. I thought that perhaps the Insprion does not like SSD so I got a new 500Gb HDD which is also not seen, I thought that perhaps the laptop cannot see any drive but have verified that the old drive is indeed dead.

Long story short, does anyone know where I can get working Windows 10 or Windows 7 drivers to allow the OS to see the SATA drives as the ones from Dell are not working?

Reply (1)
10 Diamond

Does the system BIOS see the drive?  If not, it may be due to the slim nature of the SSD - this model was designed for a 9.5 mm drive.  The SSD is 7 mm (or possibly even slimmer).  You may need a spacer so that the slimmer SSD connects to the mainboard.

Press F2 at powerup and go into setup - - if you don't see the SSD listed, it's not connected to the system board.  Installing a spacer will solve that issue.

Example

www.amazon.com/.../B014LQM6I2

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions