Netherprovinc3
1 Nickel

Clean reinstall of Windows, booting to DVD

Jump to solution

I have a clean copy of Windows that I need to install onto my Dell laptop.  

I press F12 when I boot up the computer.  There is one option that comes up called boot manager, or something similar.  When I select that, the computer seems to boot to Windows normally (which is not what I want).

The other option is to enter the UEFI, and then go to the boot menu, I don't see a place where I can change from the hard drive being the primary boot drive to the DVD drive being the primary boot drive.

side note: this forum is tough to search (doesn't produce results) and I don't understand why there is no software section. 

Edit: It's a Dell Inspiron 3552.  I am trying to install a Windows 10 home copy that I downloaded and installed from the Microsoft webpage about a year ago.  I realize that there might be a more recent version available for download but I already burned this one to DVD so I figured I'd just use it and then download any needed updates.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

RE: Clean reinstall of Windows, booting to DVD

Jump to solution

Do not use a DVD they are obsolete. Use a USB flash drive instead it has to be setup using the GPT partition scheme for UEFI BIOS and FAT32 formatted. Also use the Version 1709 build. See here for details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-oem-faqs-and-downloads/#CleanInstall15063 

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
3 Replies
9 Rhodium

Jump to solution

It would help to know the exact system model (i.e., Inspiron 5321, XPS L502x) and the exact version of Windows you're trying to install.

There is indeed a WIndows software section.

en.community.dell.com/.../

Philip_Yip
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Do not use a DVD they are obsolete. Use a USB flash drive instead it has to be setup using the GPT partition scheme for UEFI BIOS and FAT32 formatted. Also use the Version 1709 build. See here for details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-oem-faqs-and-downloads/#CleanInstall15063 

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

If you burned the .iso image to the DVD it should be available as a boot option.  Make sure have it loaded before you start the boot process.

You are working with an x64 version of Win 10?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos