Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2013 04:00

Cleaning XPS12 carbon fibre

I have just got a new XPS12 Duo which I just love. Unfortunately my little daughter has smudged the keyboard next to the touchpad with greasy fingers and I am not sure what the best way to clean the carbon fibre is. I have looked in the user mauals but cannot see anything about cleaning.Any tips would be appreciated.

2K Posts

August 18th, 2013 20:00

Hi shiju_london,

You may use any clean white cloth to wipe the smudges along with water sprinkled on the cloth. You may check with a local electronic store for an LCD cleaning kit to gently remove grease.

1 Message

October 26th, 2013 12:00

I have a similar problem with what I assume to be grease on the top of my new XPS12.  I have tried water and I have tried LCD cleaner but neither remove the splodges.  Presumably someone thought about this when deciding to use this material ?  Can you recommend additional solutions?  I tried baby wipes ( recommended elsewhere)  and a weak solution of washing up liquid - they did nothing.

Frankly it looks a mess and rather spoils the impact of a premium product. This is disappointing.

3 Posts

December 6th, 2013 18:00

I have an exact same issue. I bought my XPS 12 from Amazon and it had oil smudges on the outer shell from whoever packaged the computer. It was sold as brand new and not refurbished, so I assume this mess was from Dell.

I would like to keep my XPS 12 and not return it, but ONLY if I could clean it up. Like others I tried water, general purpose cleaners, and nothing worked. 

Dell people, PLEASE, tell us what to use in order to clean the carbon fiber outer shell!!!

Thanks

1 Message

December 21st, 2013 03:00

I also had the same problem. Here's what worked for me:

Take the softest washcloth you have in the house and fully wet it with warm water and get it a little soapy with hand soap (I used Dial gold)

Wring it out until it's damp but doesn't drip. Make sure that the cloth is just damp enough that it will wet the surface but isn't so wet that any water will run into the crack at the edge of the screen.

Gently rub the entire surface of the top with it, paying special attention to the oily bits, rubbing in circles gently until the oily areas look the same in bright light at an angle as the rest of the top. 

Now rinse the soap off the cloth in warm water. Wring it out thoroughly and go over the area you soaped earlier and remove any remaining soapy residue.

This method also works well for the touchpad and screen.

9 Posts

August 21st, 2014 09:00

Sprayway (local Wal-Mart should carry it) and a microfiber cloth should clean up the entire laptop. For tougher stains on the keyboard, mousepad, and carbon fiber you can safely use Dawn dish soap and warm water.

No Events found!