Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 11th, 2010 13:00

[Collective thread] STUDIO 1747 - Generic unsolved issues - JULY 2010

JULY

This thread contains a summary of all generic, unsolved problems of the Studio 1747 laptop - excepting the following:

- for throttling issues of the Core i7 processor, open this thread:
Throttling of core i7 processor in Studio 1747

- if you have any video problems, please hit this thread:
Studio & XPS users experiencing video lockups/freezes/throttling

- if you look for infos about a 130 watt replacement A/C adapter:
Attention Studio XPS 1645/47 and Studio 1747 owners

for all other, generic problems, please use this thread! I´m sorry, it wasn´t my idea to split the 1747-problems triple - I was told, the originally thread becomes to big and confusing. So let´s try out if this splitted threads are a better solution! :o/ However, here is our well-known issue-list again, simplified from any throttling- or video problems. Let´s discuss and talk about these known, and also upcoming, unknown issues of the Studio 1747 within this thread.

still unsolved Studio 1747 issues - Bios A07 - JULY 2010

►Performance between battery and AC power
most Studios runs with a bit more performance if only battery is connected

►Problems resuming from sleep and/or hibernate
if the 1747 "sleeps" more than 30-60 minutes it´s possible that it don´t resume anymore but turn it off&on "hard" by holding power-button

►Permanent running fan

fan starts causeless running at increased speed shortly after turning the 1747 on. Fan keeps blowing at increased speed, even if Windows boots all over and CPU idles - because of the still-blowing fan only at ~32° C. You can stop the fan only with a reboot or by stressing CPU - if temperature reaches 48°+C, fan slows down to lowest level. Turn off stress test, temperature drops below 48°C, fan turns off then. Confirmed by several users.
new BIOS A10 seems to solve this, but not 100%.

►Too less temperature range for fan
fan needs an extended temperature range in office mode. At the moment fan turns on at ~53°C and off at ~48°C. That causes the fan to start&stop every 10-15 seconds, very bothering

►Cutted sound
If the IDT sound "idles" for a while and you play then any sound, the first ~0.5 seconds are cutted! This happens only one time, following sounds are played correctly! If you stop and wait a few minutes, the next sound after this idle time is cutted again

►Not enough power to USB ports and Firewire
There are pages upon pages of various users all experiencing the same issues.

1.8K Posts

March 11th, 2010 13:00

Thanks for starting this AX-Turbo.

Just like the other 1747 threads I'm going to be trying to keep the discussions on topic as much as possible.  So please be warned that posts that stray too far off topic will be deleted.   I want to try to keep these threads as useful to as many people as possible.

56 Posts

March 12th, 2010 01:00

I do have noises and crackling when turning from the 90 watt adapter to the 130 watt adapter. After getting this video from me support won´t reply anymore...

130 watt adapter noise issue

56 Posts

March 12th, 2010 08:00

I am really confused of splitting the main thread into 5 others. But if it helps...

67 Posts

March 12th, 2010 08:00

thats curious! :emotion-16: It seems, every time one problem is gone, the next one comes up at Studio 1747! I use the "brick" 130 watt adapter, no crackling here.

23 Posts

March 13th, 2010 08:00

It seems that the only problem i have now apart from the throttling is the sound being clipped, any word on that?

Cheers

March 15th, 2010 08:00

I am really confused of splitting the main thread into 5 others. But if it helps...

I agree with you, but I didn't think that this helps. My "favorit" folder in my browser about the 1747 is really full...

Everything was perfect organized by AX-Turbo in the old thread....

12 Posts

March 17th, 2010 11:00

I do have noises and crackling when turning from the 90 watt adapter to the 130 watt adapter. After getting this video from me support won´t reply anymore...

130 watt adapter noise issue

I watched your video and can't figure out what you're trying to show. It probably doesn't help that you have background music playing. When are we supposed to hear crackling noises?

56 Posts

March 17th, 2010 11:00

Hey dcraigw,

are you really want to say you are not hearing the difference between the first adapter (90 watts) plugged in (yes there is background music, but nobody else was wondering about this till now...) and the second adapter (130 watt) even when I plug it in and out at the end of the video? You must be kidding me. Btw. the support admitted there is a problem when seeing this video. As you might have read, I got a second 130 watt adapter, getting the same noises. Now their plan is to change the mainboard.

Thx for your reply.

cheers

Christian

edit: the spectrum of the noises is bigger than the noises you hear, when the second (130 watt) adapter got plugged in. But my camera is not able to record this better.

56 Posts

March 17th, 2010 13:00

Hey Craig,

the sound is coming straight outta my FAME 1080 studio monitor speakers connected to my Mindprint T.R.I.O Channel Strip which gets its audio material through the line out OR headspeaker out of the Studio 17. With both 90 watt adapters it´s working, not so with the two 130 watt adapters. I really don´t want to change my mainboard for this problem, cause I am afraid of having all those other issues (freezes, etc.) when this happened. I think this 130 watt adapter is no good designed piece of electronic.

cheers

Christian

12 Posts

March 17th, 2010 13:00

Hey dcraigw,

are you really want to say you are not hearing the difference between the first adapter (90 watts) plugged in (yes there is background music, but nobody else was wondering about this till now...) and the second adapter (130 watt) even when I plug it in and out at the end of the video? You must be kidding me. Btw. the support admitted there is a problem when seeing this video. As you might have read, I got a second 130 watt adapter, getting the same noises. Now their plan is to change the mainboard.

Thx for your reply.

cheers

Christian

edit: the spectrum of the noises is bigger than the noises you hear, when the second (130 watt) adapter got plugged in. But my camera is not able to record this better.

Where is the sound coming from? The power adapter itself? The laptop speakers below the keyboard? The "subwoofer" on the bottom of the laptop? Somewhere else?

Craig

12 Posts

March 17th, 2010 15:00

Hey Craig,

the sound is coming straight outta my FAME 1080 studio monitor speakers connected to my Mindprint T.R.I.O Channel Strip which gets its audio material through the line out OR headspeaker out of the Studio 17. With both 90 watt adapters it´s working, not so with the two 130 watt adapters. I really don´t want to change my mainboard for this problem, cause I am afraid of having all those other issues (freezes, etc.) when this happened. I think this 130 watt adapter is no good designed piece of electronic.

cheers

Christian

Ohhh, this makes a lot more sense now. This sort of sounds like a grounding issue. I've noticed that there are two versions of the "thin" 90 W adapter; one that has a 2-prong power cord, and another that has a 3-prong power cord. I am curious as to whether there are also two versions of the 130 W adapter. My 130 W adapter came with a 3-prong power cord that looks a little different than the one in your video. Are you using a 2-prong or 3-prong cord with the 130 W adapter?

Also, I imagine you're pluging your external speakers into the same electrical outlet (or power strip, surge protector, etc.) as your laptop. I'm curious as to whether the problem would go away if you plugged your laptop and external speakers into two separate surge protectors or two separate electrical circuits in your house. Maybe run an extension cord from your kitchen or something, and plug the speakers into that! :)

Craig

56 Posts

March 18th, 2010 04:00

Hey Craig,

I am using a 3-prong cord with all the adapters I got from DELL. Every adapter has been delivered with a 3-prong cord. Everything related to my channelstrip (a kind of mixer) + studio monitor speakers is plugged into a different jack than the computer stuff (laptop adapter, external hard drive...). The real problem for DELL is, that they do not have arguments why the 90 watt adapter is doing no noises and the 130 watt adapter does, even when using the SAME power cord, as seen in the video. That is a concrete evidence, that my electronical setup can´t be that wrong. I never had any problems with my old studio-desktop or with the 90 watt adapter in this buildup.

cheers

Christian

67 Posts

March 22nd, 2010 03:00

Time to push this thread up, Dell support seems to enjoy the silence since A08 Bios update... I want to remind you for your promise, to discharge this issue list step by step... so what´s state of affairs right now? Dell-Todd, Dell-Bill or Dell-Anyone? The "cutted" sound issue still bothers me very much. Tried out the A03 sound driver of Studio 1749 - it works, but don´t resolves this issue. Since A08, I hadn´t no more "permanent running fan"-issues, I hope this isn´t only a fortuity.

1 Message

March 23rd, 2010 01:00

This is my list of unsolved problems.

Still got a problem with the annoying

►Too less temperature range for fan

A08 didn't solve that (I did not expect it to be solved in this update). But is it still on the list Dell is working on? Or is it on the list of "yeah, yeah, we know. but we got a lot of other problems to solve, so this is low priority...". Hope not.

Problems resuming from sleep and/or hibernate
. Happened to my dell a couple of times. Installed A08 4 days ago and didn't see this reoccur (yet).

Not enough power to USB ports and Firewire
 Didn't think I had this problem, but yesterday I attached my Canon Camera onto the USB (near the power chord) and it didn't make contact. Tried another USB (right-side front) and it worked fine...

Hope the Dell technicians still working on these (and other mentioned) problems… Dell-someone: can you confirm or deny this?[

March 29th, 2010 13:00

Permanent running fan

I have a new Studio 17(N0074514) and I noticed while playing music, there was a background noise coming from the fan.  Even when most cpu activity dropped off, the fan continued to run. " Speed fan", registered cpu cores running at 22 / 23 c  on less than 5 to 20% cpu usage.  I did a search and found other owners had the same problem.  After,  I ran Prime95.  Low and behold the fan  acted exactly as  described  above.  One point though, my fan does run at full speed for a couple of seconds after booting, then drops back and I don't get continous fan run all the time.  It seems selective as to when it begins to run continously.

But I have found Speed fan only works to a limited extent,  It won't detect Fans, voltages, nor speeds.  I can't read any Info, nor find any SMBus unless I download and install the latest beta version over the top of the normal 4.40 release.  Then the SMBus detects all the devices.

Just one other by the way point.  On receiving my laptop, I noticed a dead pixel on the screen.  After contacting technical, they advised Dell policy is to replace on even ONE dead pixel. The engineer arrived on the designated day and the agreed time and replaced my screen in half an hour.  So dell do get some things right.

No Events found!