Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 11th, 2010 13:00

[Collective thread] STUDIO 1747 - Generic unsolved issues - JULY 2010

JULY

This thread contains a summary of all generic, unsolved problems of the Studio 1747 laptop - excepting the following:

- for throttling issues of the Core i7 processor, open this thread:
Throttling of core i7 processor in Studio 1747

- if you have any video problems, please hit this thread:
Studio & XPS users experiencing video lockups/freezes/throttling

- if you look for infos about a 130 watt replacement A/C adapter:
Attention Studio XPS 1645/47 and Studio 1747 owners

for all other, generic problems, please use this thread! I´m sorry, it wasn´t my idea to split the 1747-problems triple - I was told, the originally thread becomes to big and confusing. So let´s try out if this splitted threads are a better solution! :o/ However, here is our well-known issue-list again, simplified from any throttling- or video problems. Let´s discuss and talk about these known, and also upcoming, unknown issues of the Studio 1747 within this thread.

still unsolved Studio 1747 issues - Bios A07 - JULY 2010

►Performance between battery and AC power
most Studios runs with a bit more performance if only battery is connected

►Problems resuming from sleep and/or hibernate
if the 1747 "sleeps" more than 30-60 minutes it´s possible that it don´t resume anymore but turn it off&on "hard" by holding power-button

►Permanent running fan

fan starts causeless running at increased speed shortly after turning the 1747 on. Fan keeps blowing at increased speed, even if Windows boots all over and CPU idles - because of the still-blowing fan only at ~32° C. You can stop the fan only with a reboot or by stressing CPU - if temperature reaches 48°+C, fan slows down to lowest level. Turn off stress test, temperature drops below 48°C, fan turns off then. Confirmed by several users.
new BIOS A10 seems to solve this, but not 100%.

►Too less temperature range for fan
fan needs an extended temperature range in office mode. At the moment fan turns on at ~53°C and off at ~48°C. That causes the fan to start&stop every 10-15 seconds, very bothering

►Cutted sound
If the IDT sound "idles" for a while and you play then any sound, the first ~0.5 seconds are cutted! This happens only one time, following sounds are played correctly! If you stop and wait a few minutes, the next sound after this idle time is cutted again

►Not enough power to USB ports and Firewire
There are pages upon pages of various users all experiencing the same issues.

4 Posts

March 30th, 2010 04:00

►Cutted sound

If the IDT sound "idles" for a while and you play then any sound, the first ~0.5 seconds are cutted! This happens only one time, following sounds are played correctly! If you stop and wait a few minutes, the next sound after this idle time is cutted again

What´s going on Dell? I´m waiting for a new driver! I´m irritated. Nothing happens the last 4 month, only silence of this issue!

29 Posts

March 30th, 2010 13:00

►Permanent running fan
fan starts causeless running at increased speed shortly after turning the 1747 on. Fan keeps blowing at increased speed, even if Windows boots all over and CPU idles - because of the still-blowing fan only at ~32° C. You can stop the fan only with a reboot or by stressing CPU - if temperature reaches 48°+C, fan slows down to lowest level. Turn off stress test, temperature drops below 48°C, fan turns off then. Confirmed by several users. 4 new users reported me this curious issue in the last few days!

---------------------

The fan issue is also on the Studio 15 line (1537 for me).  Any chance Dell will supply an updated BIOS for the units?  They are aging now... 

The fact that it's at max speed at low temperature and slow speed at high temperature is an obvious bug.

March 31st, 2010 05:00

FAN PROBLEM!

Time to push again! O.k. the throtteling is solved. Many thanks again to Dell. But no reason to fall in silence.

Please Bill, Todd or another guy let us know what´s going on at the moment? Is there a chance to enhance the fan control?

Greetings from Germany

Mathias

18 Posts

April 19th, 2010 09:00

Any updates on the fan situation?

67 Posts

April 19th, 2010 11:00

Once Todd told us, the Dell engineers will process the open issues list, and oh yes a new Dell ATI video driver and so on, "we keep you informed", "you can take us at our word" blah, blah ...result: nothing more happened since this!

Ok so I´ll take you at your word now Dell Todd and Bill and Ted and so on, and ask you:

"whats the state of affairs with the open issues?!?"

All open issues still bothers, especially the nonstop-running-fan und the cutted sound! I guess you had time enough to work on the 1747 issues now, but since weeks there are not the slighest news or infos from your side!

12 Posts

April 20th, 2010 19:00

I have the problem with my usb ports the 2 on the right side of my studio 1747. When I connect an external usb drive or my psp it drops out and disconnects. When I connect to the USB sata it works fine. Does anyone have any suggestions ? it is annoying to keep switching devices back and fourth to one port.

1 Message

April 29th, 2010 20:00

Hi there. My first post...

I've only had 2 issues since purchasing my Studio 1747 in late March... random freezing (only fixed by shutting down with the power button), and the screen sometimes won't turn back on after being idle (I don't allow sleep, hibernation etc. only turning the screen off)...

Reinstalled Windows 7 and I've been on A08 successfully for a couple weeks but started having these problems again recently... no real change to the computer other than some Windows updates, which I've removed since... not enough time to judge if freezing has been fixed again but I'm still having the issues with the monitor after idling.

Driving me nuts...

18 Posts

June 5th, 2010 04:00

Looks like the fan issue is being ignored

23 Posts

June 5th, 2010 07:00

Hi guys

Its been a few months now since i got the laptop and generally im happy with it, especially after the throttling was sorted but now i have a another rather annoying issue, i make music on the laptop  at high volumes through an external soundcard (usb powered) and i get a lot of feedback from the power supply... by unplugging the power the feedback dramatically reduces to near nothing but plug it back in and there it is again, with a bit of research i have narrowed it down to a ground loop... That said even if i use the onboard sound to just listen to music the problem is still there.... someone suggested using inline surge suppressors but im not so sure.

Has anyone noticed this same problem?

Im about to buy a new and better external soundcard so that may help but im not holding my breath!

June 14th, 2010 12:00

Is anyone at Dell going to get to grips with this continual fan running problem.  Being new to this, I am not sure if this is a Dell forum, by that I mean do Dell read these posts.  We all know there is a problem, but how can Dell be forced to look at this issue and come up with a fix.  The only way I find I can stop the fan is to have prime ready to open.  then when the fan continues to run and annoy me, I start Prime for a few moments then the fan slows and stops.

2 Posts

June 16th, 2010 20:00

Permanent running fan on 1747 i7. I have tried to no avail to find the thread for this particular problem. I have had my Dell Studio 1747 for 3 weeks and the fan won't stop! Plus when the fan picks up I feel heat from the left side of the keyboard. Could someone post the hyperlink to the thread that covers this? I've used Dell computers for 15 years and this is the first time I've experienced this. I'm ready to call and demand a replacement.

June 17th, 2010 02:00

I can understand your frustration.  I thought this thread/forum was monitored  by Dell, or a webmaster and they would pick up on postings .  But I am not so sure now, as this problem has been around quite some while.  I did try the bios update, but that didn't work, so I would not bother.  If any one else knows how this forum works (does it gets monitored by Dell)  then please post the answer.

67 Posts

June 25th, 2010 05:00

today Studio 1747 Bios A10 was published, I can´t believe! ^^
as always, no infos at "Fixes and Enhancements".
so, any experiences with this version, and just for curiosity, why version A09 was "leaped"?

1 Message

June 26th, 2010 03:00

I installed A10. No help. Same stupid fan issues. Not surprised.

1 Message

June 26th, 2010 12:00

Does anybody have sound problems when turning on/off wlan? Even when I lose signal and it has to find a new network to connect, the sound cuts and there are electric noises for about 5-10 seconds. Installed bios A10 and it seems that the noises have decreased, but they are still there.

Thanks.

No Events found!