Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

December 1st, 2016 07:00

Color calibration - Inspiron 7559

Hi,

I received my new laptop yesterday (7559) and I love it, but I have an issue with color. It's more about green that look too dark.

For example, this green from the Xbox icon :

Look like that for me :

What's the best setting for contrast, saturation, gamma, etc. that I can edit in the Intel Control panel?

104 Posts

December 1st, 2016 15:00

Any ideas?

I tried to change some saturations and stuffs in the Intel control panel, but no good result.

Do you know what's the best display profile to have or do you have any profile to download for free?

thank you.

104 Posts

December 2nd, 2016 14:00

Still want help to find the best settings for colors.

For now, I'm changing so much stuffs in the Intel HD Control panel that the white look white, but other stuffs are a bit too blue or red...

Also, yellow color doesn't seem right...

Is there someone out there who fixed the screen color range?

104 Posts

December 4th, 2016 18:00

Nobody fixed the color?

If someone fixed the color with a software like Spyder 5 on the matte display of the 7559, plz can you share me the ICC that I can download?

PS: When I add ICC, do I need to reset all my previous color changes? I made a lot of change to get something good... But it's still wrong.

Can someone at Dell provide me help?

December 5th, 2016 08:00

Hi Nic,

These displays do not require a separate ICC profile to work. Have you tried connecting the laptop to an external monitor to check if it is the issue with the display or the color calibration in the Intel graphics control panel?
Also do share the actual pictures of the display.
You can also run a display diagnostics by pressing the 'D' and powering the system on.

Also send me a private message with the service tag of the computer, registered owner's name and email address.

38 Posts

December 5th, 2016 09:00

If you need precise color calibration for some reason you will need a calibration program like colormunki. If all you are looking for is a simple way to get "good looking"color on your display, I find calibrize works well for me, and its free.

http://www.calibrize.com/

489 Posts

December 5th, 2016 15:00

Such displays may not "require" a color profile as much as wide-gamut panels do, but their channel responses are still pretty badly twisted, so that calibration is a very good idea.

Check if the same type of panel is assesed at:

www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-Inspiron-15-7559-Notebook-Review.154635.0.html

where a color profile is also available.

www.drycreekphoto.com/.../MonitorCalibrationHardware.html

I do not believe in calibration without a good calibrator - there may even be issues with some calibrators not working best with newer panel types.

104 Posts

December 5th, 2016 20:00

Doesn't really work since the display only get 63% of sRGB colors...

I downloaded the ICC profile from www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com/.../ but I wish I could get better colors. It's better than the yellowish one, but still not perfect.... I edited some settings in Intel control panel and it look much better, but still no true red, green, blue and yellow. It's kind of darker tone of the colors. Whatever, since I'm stuck with this screen for 6 years (the time I keep a laptop).

I also saw that it's brighter on top left of the screen and darker on bottom right. Is it normal? Maybe it's the way it was made...

Pictures tomorrow.

489 Posts

December 7th, 2016 04:00

Which panel does yours have?

Device Manager -> Monitors -> Generic PnP -> Properties -> Details -> Hardware Ids

More detailed using HWInfo.

Notebookcheck reports 90% sRGB with LG Philips LGD04D9 / 156UD2 / Dell P/N: 53FC4 panel, quite decent for a laptop today.

The 63% sRGB of the BOE is still higher than average for a laptop panel ;(

Surely, calibration can't increase the gamut (in fact it can decrease it if you're calibrating for the standard D65 white point not the native white point). But it should be able to straighten the color responses in non-CM programs, and provide accurate colors while within gamut in CM programs.

With a 6-bit panel, you are likely to see posterization in certain areas with smooth brightness gradients, and this may get even worse with calibration.

104 Posts

December 7th, 2016 05:00

I have the BOE... But really, Dell should try to get around 90% in every display... Don't know why it's 63%?

At school if you have 63%, you are borderline.

December 8th, 2016 06:00

Hi Nic,

Do post the pictures in the thread and the service tag details to me over a private message so i can have this checked.

104 Posts

December 12th, 2016 15:00

So what can I do?

Can someone from Dell come at my house to replace the screen for a matte 1080p LG panel for free?

I don't want to spend more for something I should have... or sent it back to factory (since a lot of people on some forums did that and Dell re-added a new BOE screen instead of changing for LG).

Comon, I tried everything to fixe the colors.

It's like I pass from 63% to 68%... But when comparing to my older laptop, there is a big difference.

63% is very bad... Don't know why you are seeing it's above average... All computers or laptop I saw are around 80-85%.

So plz come change the panel at my house... Don't know where Dell are located in Canada. I'm around Ottawa, so would like them to come.

I was going to start replacing my old laptop, but I'm just very slow since I'm 7/7 days trying to fixe the colors.

104 Posts

December 12th, 2016 18:00

So here is two images (one from IPod Touch and one of my screen (taken with IPod Touch)). The screen image doesn't do justice to what I see with my eyes. On the image it look normal, but IRL it's not.

All color are kind of washed out.

IPOD :

www.noelshack.com/.../1481596468-image.png

Laptop screen :

image.noelshack.com/.../1481596573-image.jpeg

489 Posts

December 13th, 2016 00:00

You have been asked to send pictures, I assume that's to tell if it is normal or in fact a defective panel.

63% is indeed bad, but it is in fact above average for a laptop. I've come to realize that some years ado after finding that my $2000+ Lenovo T came with a 40% sRGB panel. It was also sold with a FHD panel that almost covered sRGB, but that was an expensive extra and I had no return option. I've calibrated the panel and the colors became much more reasonable in non-CM programs (that's because the R G B channel responses are quite nonlinear and not aligned). But the small gamut rears its ugly head in Lightroom which is CM, two channels get saturated very quickly in brighter images and it looks radioactive like blown highlights while the histogram doesn't look blown except for the gamut warning little arrow; and there is bad posterization in skies where gradients are smooth.

Though, external displays are better on average, and it is much easier to find one at reasonable price.  

Regarding panel replacement you should ask at Dell service. Or maybe you have a return option for the whole laptop and you can try to find another one with a better panel. Choice is poor though, if any in the moderately-priced range.

104 Posts

December 13th, 2016 08:00

ok thank you. I just don't like that my colors don't look vivid and natural. They all look dull and darker.

- The most yellow I can have is a kind of orange/yellow.

- The most blue I can have is a dark blue.

- The most green I can have is a dark washed out green (almost brown).

- Red is a bit better.

And that's after massive calibration. Whatever, it seem that I will be stuck with this display for another 6 years... It's just that I'm studying web development and animations and I prefer to get true colors like at school, but whatever... I don't understand why displays are not coming with 100% SRGB out of the box in 2016-2017. We are not in 1996!

Someone people are saying that they are receiving the matte LG screen, so why am I stuck with the BOE and can't replace it?

Dell service is useless. I already call them for my bad calibration and they ask me to check up if my screen is broken or if not, they can't replace it or something like that. That's stupid to see that some people receive 90% SRGB screen and other 63%. Why? We will never know...

104 Posts

December 16th, 2016 14:00

Sad that Dell can't come visit me and replace the screen with the better one. Very weird to see that some people are getting matte screen with 90% SRGB and others like me get 60% SRGB screen. Is it not in the Warranty to get a good product?

You wrote on the product page :

"Get the best front-of-screen experience with a FHD anti-glare IPS wide angle display (1920x1080). "

But for now it's far from the best front of screen experience. I don't see where you are seeing it's above average.

I'm just annoyed by the weird colors... Imagine after 6 years how it will be a shock for me to get true colors lol.

No Events found!