Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

February 18th, 2014 11:00

Computer Lagging

My Dell xps m1710 has started lagging pretty badly recently, on Chrome i get a message from Norton saying Chrome is using to much CPU, but that's the only program that's open. And typing is very slow. It seems to happen in conjunction with the fans becoming loud and working hard, but it can't be overheating as it starts 5 minutes after powering on. I've just restored it to the factory settings and it's still doing it, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 18th, 2014 12:00

Give the heatsink a thorough cleaning - even a thin layer of dust will cause it to cease doing its job and the system to overheat and throttle back.

25 Posts

February 18th, 2014 13:00

Hello Majong12345,

Have you changed or added any software, hardware, windows or driver updates lately?

13 Posts

February 19th, 2014 03:00

No, not that i know, apart from a new keyboard. But like i said, I've restored it to the factory settings and its still doing, so it cant be a software or update problem can it? I am using Norton Internet security which I've heard slow's the system down. I might try restoring it again and not installing Norton for a while, see if that does anything.

February 19th, 2014 05:00

Hello,

Sorry for the trouble. I am Vineeth and I am from the Norton Support team.

Is your whole computer slow or is the problem only with browsing the Internet? Did you run a scan using the Norton Product and see if it detects any threats?

Can you also go to the Services console and disable the Indexing or Windows Search service. Let me know if it helps!

Thanks!

Vineeth

Norton Support

25 Posts

February 20th, 2014 08:00

How many Tabs do you usually have open in Chrome?

No Events found!