Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 27th, 2016 12:00

Computer shuts down every time I close the lid

I have a Precision 5510 that is about 2 months old with Windows 10 installed on it.  Over the last 2-3 weeks it has started shutting down _every_ time I close the lid.  Granted, I never close the lid and open it back up right away, it is usually hours later or the next day.

My settings specify that when I close the lid it goes to sleep on both battery and plugged in, but now it is apparently shutting down because when I re-open the lid later it is booting up.

I have seen another post that mentions trying several things like updating video drivers or doing diagnostics on the hard drive.  What should I check first?

2K Posts

May 28th, 2016 05:00

Hi KLIEMOHN,

Does this happen with or without the adapter connected? Are there any bluescreens / system crashes? Does the auto sleep and manual sleep modes work fine? Does the system hibernate and restart fine?

Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/1U2Js3b

Create a system restore point.

Reinstall the chipset and video drivers from the same site above.

Go to control panel -> power options -> change plan settings -> change advanced power settings -> under sleep settings - disable hybrid sleep ---- under power buttons and lid -> check lid close action settings - apply and ok

Restart the system and check if it works fine.

Create a new admin account and check - http://bit.ly/1JoFhcw

If the issue is not resolved, then restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS - close the lid and open again and check if the system shuts down or if it stays on while in the BIOS mode.

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us.

Use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away.

DellRamanS_0-1647632024084.png

5 Posts

May 31st, 2016 06:00

Rishi,

When I close the lid, I tend to have the power plugged in (not sure what you mean by "adapter").  Then I change locations so I unplug the power, go to the new location (many times this is only a 30 minutes trip), plug the power back in, and open the lid.  When I open the lid the computer is booting up (no power button has been touched in this process).  There is no blue screen.

I have the computer set to go to sleep when I press the power button.  When I do this as a test, going to sleep works fine (at least it did on the one test I just did).  I'll have to test auto-sleep when I have more tie.  I do have it set to go to sleep after 30 minutes on battery power, but I'm not sure I hit that situation.

This system is under warranty, but I'm assuming you want me to update the BIOS and create a new admin account first.

Thanks,

Kirk

5 Posts

May 31st, 2016 07:00

I just discovered that manual sleep works, but only if I keep the lid open. If I manually put it to sleep then close my lid.  Upon opening the lid it starts booting.  Until I have time to do those other steps I have to keep my laptop open :-(.

79 Posts

May 31st, 2016 13:00

you can change this in power settings set it to go to sleep when you close the lid and it will come back up ware you left off when you open it back up.

5 Posts

May 31st, 2016 19:00

Unfortunately I already have it set to go to sleep when I press the power button, sleep button, or close the lid.  This is for both when on battery or when plugged in.

79 Posts

May 31st, 2016 20:00

have you tried to do a clean install of windows but save anything you want to save first and then  download and install all drivers.

8 Posts

May 31st, 2016 21:00

Try going to control panel==>>device manger=>>right click on "display adapter" and remove it. then click on Action. (Don't delete it, just remove it) you can also do a search for any updated drivers.

5 Posts

June 1st, 2016 06:00

Updating the BIOS appears to have fixed the problem.  Thanks!

I never tried the other options because I think I'm OK now.  FWIW I am running a clean install of Windows 10.

79 Posts

June 1st, 2016 07:00

fantastic i am very happy for you that is why i like this forum there is usually a solution to just about any problem on here.

2K Posts

June 1st, 2016 12:00

Hi Kirk,

Thank you for the update.

Glad to hear the BIOS has fixed the issue (as in most cases it does).

Please create a system restore point, so in case any update causes any other issues, you could always restore the machine back to this point and it could help avoid further troubleshooting.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!